Sign in to follow this  

What is the best grip glue on the market?

Up here in watery, rainy pacific northwest I have been having great success with hairspray and safety wire.

I hear clear coat lacquer(sp?) works well too.

E6000 works good even with no safety wire, RTV silicone will proably work well also. The hair spray method always slipped on me when they got wet.

For what it's worth, I've been using friction tape. Wrap a layer on, wet it with gasoline, and slide on your grip, rotating the same direction of the wrap and let it set. This has proved to be much easier than trying to spread the grip glue (easy part) then slide on the tight grip that tries to "squeegie" the glue off as you slide it on (hard part). Even though I try to cover the bar (or throttle tube) completely with grip glue, the ends seem to not get glued down. Nothing sucks more than to grab your bike for your moto, and as you lift it off the stand, your grip is spinning!!! SH#$%&T :cry:

I do similar to MED but I use black electrical tape on the bar and then pour a little gas inside the grip. Let it sit for a few seconds then pour it out and slide the grip on. The gas "melts" the plastic and tape and when it dries, it is bonded together. Safety wire it and go. I've never had a grip slip.

I just use Zap CA pink. The super thin crazy glue stuff for hobbies. I put the grip on then add a couple of drops to the end of the grip and it wicks itself under the grip.

It looks like there are a million different ways of doing this. I spray black lacquer paint inside the grip and slip it on. My grips wear out before they slip even in wet conditions. No safety wire here either. I must suck at putting grips on with the glue because it always got on my throttle housing which makes me nervous...

I just use Zap CA pink. The super thin crazy glue stuff for hobbies. I put the grip on then add a couple of drops to the end of the grip and it wicks itself under the grip.

I would think you'd have a tough time getting an old grip off the throttle tube when you use the crazy glue-type stuff, true?

Its called ODI Lock on Grips (no glue, no wire, no mess, no hassle).

Don :cry:

I would think you'd have a tough time getting an old grip off the throttle tube when you use the crazy glue-type stuff, true?

I slice the grip length wise and it peels right off. Never had a problem and also never had a grip slip either.

textured electrical tape..might be pipe tape and safety wire. Its what the pros use. An article in one of the mags showed this trick. I guess its an old timers trick but I never heard of it till I read it in the mag...otherwise I use ODI grips...no glue involved and come with a new throttle tube everytime.

I use Super Glue just like on Bubba Stewarts bikes. Obviously, once they're on you can't remove them unless you cut them off. Just squirt the glue on and you've about 5 seconds to slide the grip on and then it's on for life with no chance of loosening up.

Gorilla Glue from Home Depot or Lowes...its a urathane glue and waterproof when dry. Also, golf club grip tape works very well as it is double sided too.

fergymoto

black tremclad rust paint works great, doesnt come loose even when submerged in skeg. one can will last longer than your bike.