Sign in to follow this  

Reuse Drain Bolt Seal Washers ?

Just wondering if anyone is reusing the engine and tranny drain bolt seal washers with success (ie. no leaks)?

Ive been changing them just becasue it says to in the manual..but from now on im just going to check the condition of the washer and clean it. But make sure if you use the tranny check bolt that you DEFINATLY change the washer on it every time..because it is copper and its a crush washer once you torque that bolt the washer crushes in order the make the seal..they get like pancaked

I reuse the engine/tranny/tranny check washers and no leaks.

I reuse them 1 or 2 times then I replace them. It's cheap insurance. I just buy a bag full of 8mm crush washers from the hardware store for a couple of bucks instead of paying $2 for a single oem washer.

I only torque my drain bolts to 8-9 ft/lbs and it doesn't even crush the washer. I've been doing it since I got my 02.

I think I changed it once about 2 yrs ago before I started torquing it to the lower spec.

You should replace drain plug washer everytime drain plug is removed. Here is why........the washer is aluminum and is designed to crush when torqued to the specifed 16ftlbs.

The washer then has "sealed" the drain plug hole and bolt mating surfaces. If one keeps reusing washer the washer will no longer crush and has lost it's sealing properties.

But the real problem is the increase risk of damaging drain plug hole threads. Now the torque that was designed to "crush" the washer is now trying to pull the threads out of the cases. Repairing drain pulg hole threads on a CRF250 engine will not be easy or inexpensive either. Purchase the OEM washers and change everytime, good sound safe insurance. :thumbsup:KLX

No offense to anyone here but do yo uguiys really pull out the torque wrench everytime you do an oil change. What ever happened to going by feel. The only time a torque wrench has ever seen my bike was when I had to take the cam out.

No offense to anyone here but do yo uguiys really pull out the torque wrench everytime you do an oil change.

Sure do. It sits right on the bench ready to use.

What's the big deal about setting it and using it? It's not like I have to climb 10 sets of stairs and open a safe to get at it.

I know lots of guys go by feel, but I've just always used the wrench from all the horror stories in the 450 forum ripping out threads with the ridiculous torque figure the 02 450 came out with. (20ft/lbs IIRC)

No offense to anyone here but do yo uguiys really pull out the torque wrench everytime you do an oil change. What ever happened to going by feel. The only time a torque wrench has ever seen my bike was when I had to take the cam out.

Would you want someone to build a house for you without measuring? Going by sight or feel just doesn't cut it when your talking about expensive equipment.

I use my torque wrench for basically every critical nut & bolt except for the ones that hold the plastic on and etc.

I knew this was going to start a huge debate. I use torque wrench for the important things like you said --> main caps, rods, cams anything thats rotating and clearences are criticals. However something like a bolt for the drain pan I cant see using a torque wrench for. Do you guys use one when you change your handlebars for the clamps?

So I do not yet own a torque wrench, but am definately looking for one since I'm about to pull the cam. But here's my concern...

I hear stories of people who have used torque wrenches, and threads still strip while tightening to the specified torque. So if there is still a risk, why not go by feel?!?

So do you guys that use the torque for all critical bolts ever stop short of the specification because you feel like it's way too tight?

Yeah, newbie questions. But whatcha gonna do?!? :cry:

I think that the reason that people strip bolts is becacuse they dont properly know how to use a torque wrnech. If the threads are dry it wont torque properly. Also if you a torqueing something to a low spec you dont want a 1/2 torque that goes to 160ft/lbs. I have 3 different torque wrenches for different applications. A 1/4 drive that is in inch/lbs, a 3/8 drive that does 10-80ft/lbs and a 1/2 drive that does 40-160 ft/lbs. Basically use the right tool for the right job.

i have never changed a sealing washer on any of the 6 bikes i have had.....never had a leak or pulled threads.

Use a 1/4" ratchet with a stubby handle and you'll never over torque em.

:cry: Re-anile copper washers and put back on. Never had a leak in years. Torque important internal engine components also barrels and heads, use feel for all the rest. No probs here using this methods, but I think it is a very individual thing and if you are not sure about how tight tight is then you better get the torque wrench out to be safe.

I never replace mine and go by feel with a T handle. No leaks, been doing it that way for 3 CRF's now. Please don't send the toque police after me..... wait here they come.... let go of me you bast......ahhhh!!!

never replaced any washers, never had any leaks. Never used a torque wrench for oil drain bolts, always by feel.