Sign in to follow this  

2005 cylinder & head on a 2004

Does anybody know if the 2005 cylinder and head will work on the 2004 cases? The base gasket is the same but the part number for the case halves are different, the piston and rings are the same. I have to replace ours on the 04 and thought I would go to the 05 and see if it alleviates our valve troubles. :cry:

Thanks!!

I should have an '05 head tomorrow, I'll post after checking it out, and getting some measurements. The cylinder has a shorter spigot, and measures the same diameter where it goes into the cases. The stud pattern is the same. The '05 cam is the same on the intake side, with the exhaust side having slighty less lift and duration compared to the '04.

the cylinder skirt is a bunch thicker on the 05. I believe you would need to bore the cases bigger for the cylinder to fit.

the cylinder skirt is a bunch thicker on the 05. I believe you would need to bore the cases bigger for the cylinder to fit.

I think you're right, they did change the cases.

The cases have different part number as does the cylinder. The piston is the same and the cylinder base gasket is the same, if the gasket and piston are the same I would think the cylinder would work. :cry:

The '05 cylinder skirt is the same diameter as the '04. The skirt is shorter by 4mm.

Well I am going to be the crash test dummy on this one and see what happens. Everything is the same except the head, cylinder, and head gasket so I see no reason why it won't work. The valves are the same so MAYBE the head was the problem with the valves going bad so much. My head is junk and part of the skirt at the bottom of the cylinder broke off. It ended up at the screen down in the left side cover and didn't touch a thing :cry: Well I guess I will :cry: and order the stuff. Good thing I have a great sponsoring dealer. I'll post what I find when the parts get here. Thanks for all the help and keep it coming.

:cry:

For all you guys planning on using the 05 cylinder, head, and cam on the 04, keep in mind that Honda also changed the ignition, carb settings, and plug to match. You probably need to buy a CDI unit and plug and change your carb around. Not sure if the plug cap/coil is changed. :cry:

That's what my dealer said but when he looked up all the ignition parts the numbers for 04 and 05 were all the same. :cry: I'm not worried about it much as I run a Vortex ignition anyway and my carb is modded so if I have to tweak on it I will. I also run the Webcam cam. I will post what I find when I get it finished good or bad :cry: This cam pulls REAL hard in the midrange to upper RPM I just dread doing the work on the head it takes alot of time!

I should have an '05 head tomorrow, I'll post after checking it out, and getting some measurements. The cylinder has a shorter spigot, and measures the same diameter where it goes into the cases. The stud pattern is the same. The '05 cam is the same on the intake side, with the exhaust side having slighty less lift and duration compared to the '04.

Do you know what the specs are on the 05 cam? The Webcam I am running is .332/.325 lift and 239/249 duration @ .050 lift. :cry:

Thanks, Brian

For all you guys planning on using the 05 cylinder, head, and cam on the 04, keep in mind that Honda also changed the ignition, carb settings, and plug to match. You probably need to buy a CDI unit and plug and change your carb around. Not sure if the plug cap/coil is changed. :cry:

I thought about that, and will address it once I finish and get it on the dyno.

the 04 cam should be a good match up for the 05 head with the smaller intake ports .the web cam has a couple less degrees of duration than the 04 but has 8 degrees more duration @ .200 lift real fast ramps the ex lobe is the same as the 04 there will be a billet cam from them soon for the 250

It is in combination with other mods I made. There are 10 curves already programmed in it and you can send it to MT racing and have him put in a custom one, that's what I did. Is it worth the money? Only you can decide that, I say no not by itself, you prolly wouldn't notice anything but in combination with other mods :cry: