Sign in to follow this  

So, did I do something wrong, or is this normal?

Hello again everyone. Here is the new issue. My front wheel bearings are shot. Bike is 1 and a half years old. I would say consistant riding every other weekend. Ride in all types of weather and on all types of terrain. I keep the bike clean and maintained. Never use a pressure washer. I have heard about being careful with the washing around the wheels and hubs. Thought that I was.

Is this normal wear and tear?

If not, is there something else I should have done?

Should I have tore down the bike after the sand dunes?

Any reccomendations for the new parts and for future maintenance?

Are there better aftermarket seals and bearings?

Thanks fellow thumpers,

Shane

I had to replace my wheel bearing in about 1.5 years. Its been pretty wet around here, so it didnt really surprise me. The OEM bearings do not have seals! The left side bearing was shot and the right ( speedo side ) was fine. I would say normal wear and tear.

You are fine. I have an 01' and I replaced both front and rear last year. I use a pressure washer every time I clean my bike. Just don't aim the stream straight into the bearings and you'll be fine.

shane,

the OEM bearings are decent quality but suffer from poor factory lubrication. if you clean them out then regrease once in a while (every 3-6 months depending on what you ride through) they should last for a couple of years at least.

you can do the regrease in 15 or 20 minutes. just pull the wheel off, pull the dustcover/spacer off, and then gently pry the rubber axle seal out. (the best tool to get the seal out happens to be a Ty Davis tire iron -- i don't know why i tried using it the first time but it turns out that the rounded "spoon" shape makes it so easy to pry the seal out w/o damage. but you can use a big screwdriver as well.)

now you'll be looking in at the bearing. on my '01 WRF the OEM fronts are non-sealed, and the OEM rears are sealed. don't know why. for the fronts, just take the brake cleaner wand and blast all of the old grease out. leave some cleaner sitting in there and go have a beer. then come back and blast away again. rotate the bearing a bit and give it a final blast. for the backs, you'll need to get the bearing seals out. i use a (dull) hooked dental tool, it makes quick work of getting an edge up without damage. once you get the seal off the process is the same as the fronts. to put the seal back in, just firmly press it into place. warning: on the rear wheel, the bearings (and therefore the seals) are different sizes. don't inadvertently swap them or you'll end up FUBAR'ing one of the seals. by the way, you need to do this when installing BRAND NEW "sealed bearings" as well; there is usually insufficient grease and it's generally poor quality to boot.

for grease, use a high quality lithium complex or aluminum complex base grease. i'm not that big of a fan of aluminum complex greases in high speed wheel bearing applications, but to each his own. CRC/STA-LUBE brand "STA-PLEX" Premium Red Lithium Complex Grease is what i use. US$3.79 for a 1Lb tub at pep boys or other auto parts stores. if you want to get crazy, find some Mobil Infinitec 152, which is probably the best grease on the planet.

to pack grease into the bearing while it's mounted in the hub, you need a little creativity. i happen to have a 20cc "hypodermic" which was designed for dispensing wood glue for cabinetmakers. it works perfectly -- i can fill the bearing completely with new grease.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Should I have tore down the bike after the sand dunes?

I can almost guarantee that is the prime reason they went bad so quickly. Sand gets in EVERYTHING and does nothing but grind away.

Thanks a bunch Wrooster!

Woo Hoo more stuff to do besides sit on the couch. Hey Wrooster, can I have a beer before I start the project or just while I am waiting for the cleaner to soak in? :cry:

BTW, just went out to our Machine shop, they use Mobile Mobilith AW2 Industrial Grease Heavy Duty Multipurpose (NGLI #2 extreme pressure lithium complex grease) Is this stuff Good?

What brand should I buy? Looking at the OEM, ALL BALLS, and MSR HPs. Who makes Sealed bearings for the front and rear and where can or should I get them?

Shane

Some Aftermarket Bearings:

1) Pivot Works (www.pivotworks.com)

Front Wheel Kit (PWFWK-Y07-421): includes 2 bearings (20 X 37 X 9) and 2 oil seals (25 X 38 X 7)

Rear Wheel Kit (PWRWK-Y08-421): includes 2 bearings (one 22 X 44 X 12 and one 22 X 15 X 14) and 2 oils seals (one 29 X 44 X 5 and one 29 X 50 X 6)

2) Moose

3) CBR Bearing Company (www.cbrbearing.com)

CBR specializes in top quality replacement ball and roller bearings for Motorcycles and ATV's. CBR Bearing Company was THE first in the motorcycle aftermarket industry to provide wheel bearings in kit form.

4) You can generally get the bearings from any bearing distributor but they need to be ordered by the correct size. This is generally your cheapest option.

Front Wheel Bearings: 6904-2RS

Front Seals: 26 x 38 x 7

Rear Drive Side Bearing: 62/22RS

Rear Drive Side Seal: 30 x 50 x6

Rear Brake Side Bearing: 60/22RS

Rear Brake Side Seal: 30 x 44 x 5

The sizes I got above are from the TT archives. I am not exactly sure why the sizes for the Pivot Works bearings and seals are slightly different.

I have a pivot works kit on my rear wheel that I got on ebay for ~$39.00. Good quality. On the front I put on bearings I got from a local distributor. These were double sealed and they also had the dust seals. Total price ~$13.00. They seem like good quality and I have had no problems as of yet.

Well thanks for all the help everyone.

I think I am going to try the All Balls Bearings.

www.allballsracing.com

They seem like high quality and are $22.00 for the kit. Plus I like the name and hope to get a sticker with it.

Shane

Shane, your about the 5th person I've known who's had to change these bearings on an 03 within the last 60 days including myself.

Mines was easy, just get a long punch and hit from the backside and it'll pop out.

My neighbor, however, rode his in the mud while knowing his was shot. the inner race and balls came out easily but the outer race had to be cut out with a small die grinder. A real PITA.

Took the bearings out last night to clean and ready the wheel for the new All Balls Racing bearings I have coming. Boy oh Boy do the old ones look like shi*. All rusted and about a 1/16 of play. There was no grease left and water poured out when I removed the wheel. Checked and repacked the rears for fun, they looked great. I am at a loss of why Yamaha did'nt use sealed in the front. MONEY?? Guess they have to shave costs somewhere.

I reccomend to everyone, check your bearings (all of them) on a regular basis.

Shane