Sign in to follow this  

Stretched chain

Well it appears that my chain ('03 DRZs) has started to reach the limit of being able to be tightened up using the snail shaped tighteners on the rear. Other than the length of the chain it appears to be fine otherwise. So my questions are...

1) Can I simply remove a link to shorten it or do I need to get a new chain? IOW, is the chain's integrity comprised after it has been stretched to that point?

2) If I can remove a link, does the chain come with a master link on it? I'm not at my bike to check myself.

3) If not, what size mater link would I need?

4) Would a gold chain allow me to go 130 mph on my DRZ? J/K :cry:

Thanks

HouseCalls

The wear may not be apparent to you but if it has increased in length enough that you have run out of adjustment, it is warn out. There are actual published wear specifications, but from a practical stand point, you just kind of estimate. You are talking the original "O" ring chain, right? They wear slowly then all at once. You likely will find uneven wear and tight and loose places in the chain. Also the rollers are much looser on the pins than to start with. How many miles and what kind of use?

1) Can I simply remove a link to shorten it --- yes, but not a good idea. Remember, you have to remove 2 roller links --- or do I need to get a new chain? --- Yes, that is the best idea ---- IOW is the chain's integrity comprised after it has been stretched to that point? --- Yes. The pin to pin distance is no longer correct so it does not fit the sprockets correctly.

2) If I can remove a link, does the chain come with a master link in it? -- no. You have to buy one.

3) If not, what size mater link would I need? --- 520 heavy duty "O" ring style. Check the fit.

4) Would a gold chain allow me to go 130 mph on my DRZ? J/K ---- Yes, no problem

Thanks Noble,

Yes, it's the original O-Ring chain. If memory serves, I have around 5k miles on it.

I guess I'll heed your advice and go ahead and get a new chain. Anyone aware of a good source for one? If worse comes to worse I could probably get one from a dealer but online prices seem to be much better.

Thanks again

HouseCalls

ps.

Since drag appears to be the biggest hinderance to the 130 mph mark, I would assume that the best way to achieve it is to ride bare ass nekkid and oiled down, so... what oil would be best? Sorry for the disturbing mental picture.

WFO311,

I'm currently in the market for a street bike to replace the DRZ's function as transport back and forth to work, which will hopefully allow me to change the current street/dirt riding ratio of 80/20 to something closer to 30/70. In which case, I'll end up going with different size sprockets than the high end stocks. And maybe even that FCR carb that I keep having erotic dreams about. So, if everything works out in the near future then the sprockets will be replaced.

Thanks

HC

Ya don't want to put a nice new chain on old worn sprockets...you will just wear out your new chain faster. You can get sprockets for less than 15$ if ya look around. Think steel.

Well 2 out of 3 responses tell me to replace the sprockets, so I guess I'll replace the sprockets. I'm going to look at a bike tomorrow that's pretty cheap, it's a '82 Honda Nighthawk 450, a bit smaller than I wanted but if it's in good shape I won't be able to pass it up. If I get it then I'll go for the 14/47 sprocket combo, if not then I'll just stick with the stock 15/44 for the time being.

As far as a source for a chain, I just realized that the TT store carries both chains and sprockets, so that's where I'll get 'em. The TT store sure has come a long way since I joined this forum. :cry:

Thanks for yalls input, :cry:

HouseCalls