Sign in to follow this  

smooth landing?..

While at the mx track this week, my buddy mentioned that my landings seemed much harder than the better riders that were on the same bike (YZ450F). :cry: I tried accelerating more on the landing as well as landing my back tire earlier than the front. But, the landing still seemed hard?.. :cry: Any practice drills or tips to help me smooth out my landings?

What kind of jumps? If there's a downslope on the landing, land nose down so both wheels touch down at the same time. You usually don't even feel the landing when you match your wheels to the downslope. Feels cool. :cry:

The fast guys may be landing softer because they aren't jumping as high as you on some jumps. They're absorbing some of the impact of the takeoff and scrubbing some. This lets them carry a lower trajectory and get back on the ground sooner and from a lower height. This is generally the fastest way to take a jump, as long as you can clear it with the lower trajectory. Watch what the fast guys are doing on some of the jumps where they land smoother than you. Are they slowing down at the last moment before the jumpface and absorbing the takeoff in their legs? Some of them are probably doing a little whip to get the bike lower too, I'll bet.

I'm not great at the whip/scrub motion yet, but I do absorb the takeoff on jumps that make no sense to go flying off of. At a local MX track, there's about a 3-foot takeoff bump in the middle of a short straight that a lot of guys jump and flat land from about 4-5 feet high. But there's no reason to jump the silly bump IMO, so I abosorb it (legs extended until I hit the bump, then pull the bike up hard into you bending your legs, then extend on the far side of the bump). Even though other riders are getting 5 feet of air off the bump, I basically stay on the ground and accelerate better than they do.

:cry:

Thanks, Berkeman - I notice it most on jumps with flat landings... like coming up short on a long table top. I seem to be ok on the down hill landings.

Land front wheel first (by a squoosh) and blip the throttle on the landing... Shouldnt even feel a thing :cry:

While at the mx track this week, my buddy mentioned that my landings seemed much harder than the better riders that were on the same bike (YZ450F). :cry: I tried accelerating more on the landing as well as landing my back tire earlier than the front. But, the landing still seemed hard?.. :cry: Any practice drills or tips to help me smooth out my landings?

If you're landing on flat ground stand with your body position stretched out tall over the front of the bike, then as you land row down and back with your body movement that should smooth her out. And yes, land with the throttle on. :cry:

If you're landing on flat ground stand with your body position stretched out tall over the front of the bike, then as you land row down and back with your body movement that should smooth her out. And yes, land with the throttle on. :cry:

Excuse me for being delayed on this, but is this THE Gary Semics I'm thinking of? :cry: :cry:

Thanks Guys. I'll work on it this weekend!

Gary, thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated. You're the man! :cry:

:cry:

Excuse me for being delayed on this, but is this THE Gary Semics I'm thinking of?

Yep. Pretty amazing, huh? A lot of us learned to ride by watching his videos over and over, and now he's moderating a TT forum for us. Way cool.

Thanks Gary! :cry:

Excuse me for being delayed on this, but is this THE Gary Semics I'm thinking of?

Yep. Pretty amazing, huh? A lot of us learned to ride by watching his videos over and over, and now he's moderating a TT forum for us. Way cool.

Thanks Gary! :cry:

Yeah when I first posted and I saw Gary I was like :cry: