Sign in to follow this  

04' 450 rear master cylinder extender, anyone using it??

Im having major trouble getting my rear brake to function again, I have seen another post on the same topic, but I wanted to get some opinions on the Devol? master cylinder extender. Once I get the brake working again, I'm going to add that, a little extra fluid couldnt hurt, right??

Ive rebuilt the caliper, and master cylinder, and I cant get the thing bled or something, next is changing out the line. Ive tried every trick I have read about on this site, and a couple others as well, nothings worked so far. I must not be holding my tongue right or something......... :cry:

That's right, brake fluid doesn't circulate, so you're wasting money. Its pure foof. Add an extra insulator to your brake pads, even buy one of those dorky looking air scoops if you have to spend money - at least those may help a TINY bit. IF its a really bad problem, the oversize Braking caliper is probably the best remedy I've seen.

I was more thinking of slowing down future possible problems. I ride mostly in soft dirt, sand usually, and the rear brake get used much harder than the front. I just dont like the idea of rebuilding everything in another four months, but if I gotta, I gotta. thanks for the info.

I use my CRF450 80% of the time for off road and had a lot of rear brake fading problems on long downhills and tight single track. Got incredible results from the Braking rear wave rotor and their bigger caliper. The brake pads are almost twice a big and the caliper dissapates the heat more effectively than stock. The rear brake fade problem has been eliminated. You can still use the resevoir extender but it's not necessary. By the way, the brake feel and feedback is excellent too.

The rear brake fading problem mostly affects people that are rear brake draggers and people that are pretty damn fast. If it is something that really bothers you and want a good quick fi just buy the "Braking" caliper that is larger and is just overall better. it sells around 220 i think

It doesn't help. The fluid boils in the caliper not in the master cylinder.

it goes to show you how little the knuckle heads know at the dirt bike rags. they blame the overheating of the rear brake on the size of the resovoir. hah!!

I dont think Im a brake dragger, but I do use them. Its been raining down here so much that I havent had a chance to ride it this week, new pads, rebuilt caliper/master cylinder, only thing left is to replace the line. If it goes out again I will replace the caliper with the Braking unit, thanks for the tips.

i'm a brake dragger too. my rear disc on all my bikes turn black/blue in the holes and yellow on the outer edge of the disc. i have not had any chirping or fading of my rear crf450 brake (yet).

i've read about using an insulator between the pad and the caliper piston to prevent heat transfer to the caliper. i was goinna do the mod if i did have problems with fading.

I finally figured out the problem, the pads that were on it had worn at an angle, from the rattle plate binding on the pin, when I took the plate off I didnt notice the pads were off. New pads, and I have incredible brakes again. What felt like a lack of pressure was the pads trying to bend and hit the rotor flush, I think.

:cry: