Sign in to follow this  

baja design vs. electrex vs. trick

I'm going to dual sport my KLX 300. The 3 kits I've seen (400-500$) are baja designs, trick, and electrex (dakar). So the question is what's the best? And, do you think I should have someone qualified do a rewind on the stator?

Thanks for the help.

I assume you're in wyoming from your info, Wyoming does NOT require turn signals, so my advice to you is rewind the stator for a heavier duty headlight and get the baja designs brake switch to make it have a functioning brakelight. So basically all you need is a brakelight and a rear view mirror...not worth 500 bucks to me. You also need a horn, but again...you don't need a 500 dollar kit for that. They also don't inspect the bikes here, you just sign off on a form saying you have brought it up to legal specs.

You can call the guy that owns Trickdualsport. He answers the phone most of the time. He's Dale. He can answer any questions you have. If the above post is true, Dale will get you what you need as little or as much to go riding Dualsport. He's an enthusiast.

I would recommend getting the kit from Baja Designs. Great tech support and all around good guys.

:cry: EXACTLY! :cry: By the way, they are the best, too! :cry:

And, YES, send your stator in to BD for rewinding... they know what they're doing and they apply a special protective coating after they rewind. :cry:

:DBaja Designs is really AWESOME! :cry:

Here's some things to consider in a D/S kit...

* Does the kit use weather resistant connectors?

* What kind of light output does the kit provide?

* Can the light output be upgraded with a simple bulb change?

* Is the lens easy to change out if its gets broken?

* What kind of security does the kit provide (key, hidden switch, etc)?

* Does the kit include a horn? (necessary for some states)

* Is the kit truly DOT legal for your state? i.e. Turn signals must be a certain distance apart from each other in some states.

* Can the kit be easily removed to make servicing the bike easier? (servicing the forks, shock, removing subframe, etc).

* Does the kit provide brake light functions for both front & rear brakes?

* Is there a written warranty

* Is the kit pretty much plug & play

* Is the switch for the turn signals, lights, kill switch, etc, prone to failure?

* Does the kit 'require' your stator to be rewound? It's a good idea to have a higher output stator for decent light output, but some kits can get by with the stock stator if the front light output is limited to 35 watts.

* Can the battery be easily charged / maintained to prolong its life without taking things apart?

My suggestion is to look at all the kits first hand if possible to get a better idea of their construction in addition to gathering feedback from customers.

I have had my Trick Dualsport for 1-1/2 years and it has survived brutal off road riding. Mud baths, sand blasts, whoops and rock gardens! Extremely reliable. I ride every weekend rain or shine. Trick Dualsport is the way to go. Dale will customize it any way you want. I am very impressed and satisfied. :cry:

And Dale will do stator work and get you as little or as much as you need. :cry: Baja desings lost my brother rear shock!! Good thing he insured it for delivery but baja was no help.

Trick Dual Sport is your best bet. I have had mine for 6 months of hard riding without any problem. Dale can make you up a custom kit if needed and won't charge you any more than necessary.

What I like about his kit over the others was the compact design, ease of taking off, durability, will come complete, has extra accessory plug for a GPS or other small electronic device. Dale will also give you excellent support and he stands behind his product.

I had already Dual sported mine using a OEM kit which did not perform to my liking, so but switch to his. You should also check to see if you need a front brake switch as well.

Give him a call, it will be well worth your effort

Mike

wyoming requires only one brake switch...front or rear...and NO turn signals, and since the bike already has a headlight and tailight...buying a complete dualsport kit is ridiculous

I am glad everyone is happy with their kits. :cry: A few years ago, I dualsported my buddy's XR600 at BD (afterall he was letting me ride it on an 8 day dualsport ride). I/he have been very happy with the BD kit. When it came time for me to FINALLY get my own bike two years ago, I bought my KTM dualsported from the dealer. I assumed they were going to install the BD kit. They installed the Electrex kit instead. I didn't really care as long as it worked. It seemed OK and it worked fine for the first dualsport ride I went on (Cal Poly Penguins). However, I had major problems with it on a Mexico to Canada ride. I had to ride a DRZ400 for one of the days. :cry: Fortunately, one of my buds was able to bypass the kit so my bike would run. Since then, my bike runs but the DS stuff doesn't work. I have been to Electrex and they did replace the turn signal switch but were not helpful getting the kit working. I would NOT recommend Electex as they are a British company (remote, not that I don't like Brits) and are only interested in selling to dealers and distributors without much customer support. Last year, I met Dale (TDS) on the LAB2V ride and was impressed talking to him and appreciated his support of the riders.

In December, I bought 2 dualsported TTR125LEs for my girls and was glad the dealer recommended and installed TDS for the kits. These kits are very nice.

In summary, I have been to the BD and Electrex facilities and have experience with their kits and staff. I have met Dale, talked to him on the phone and have been VERY happy with 2 of his kits. BD is really good, but I wish I had insisted on TDS for my KTM! :cry:

Good luck.

Wow, that's completely the opposite experience I've had with Electrex. I recently took a trip to their shop to see their products first hand and they were great to deal with. I also spoke to people who used their products and to a few people who have owned multiple brands of kits at some point in time and received some pretty interesting feedback. Electrex would have gladly sold me the product right then and there. They took the time to answer my questions and let me check out their kits first hand and were very helpful to me. In fact, they dissassembled a kit for me right then and there so I could check out their PCBA, the battery, their wiring harness, soldering, etc. I was impressed with their Dakar kit, its contruction & design. I also visited Baja Designs on the same day and they too were great to deal with. I've personally seen five different brands of dual sport kits now and like some kits better than others. After looking at these and other kits, I feel there's definitely room for improvement in product quality, instructions, features & price no matter which kit you buy. It should not be too difficult to make your own kit with the various components on the market, but I do like the switch assembly that comes with the Electrex kits the best and would use that specific switch assembly if I was piecing together a kit. I've spoke to several people who had switch failures (multiple failures for some people) on the Baja Designs kit, but Baja Designs stood behind their product from what I've read and replaced the switch assembly under warranty without any hassle.

I have owned a Baja Designs kitted bike, and now a Trick DS kitted bike. The support has been good from both companies for me. However, the Trick DS kit is packaged better IMHO and the harness has been rock solid. I had to work on the harness of the Baja kit a few times. There was no schematic for the Baja kit and Baja Designs would not send me one. Had to troubleshoot problems the hard way with a 2 paragraph install description. Don't have a schematic for the Trick kit either, but it has work flawlessly, so no need for one.

I am very happy with my Trick DS kit.

I've had both BD and Trick. BD is fine on my WR. I have a Trick on my KTM and I REALLY like it. Very important factor is Dale with Trick. You get to talk to the main man when you call. He is an electrical engineer and knows his stuff. He'll spend as much time with you as you need to provide custom service. Great customer service too. After a friend goofed up his wiring, Dale made a stop by his house when he was up in No Cal and fixed it for him!

G-N-R

I bought an 03WR250 with the eletrex kit on it and I'm having a little trouble. When I ride with the lights off it runs fine and charges fine but when I run with the lights on it drains the battery. All the lights work properly. I've contacted electrex and they said to make sure I was using the right wattage bulb and I am. I contacted them again after I checked to see if they could help me with maybe a wrong installation or something but no one got back to me. Even the installation insructions on their site are wrong and don't show the proper 03-04 instructions. I like the kit and the components that its made with but I haven't been happy with their customer services. I'd love to be able to ride at night, or at least stay out until it gets dark, but I cannot figure out whats wrong with it.

I had Baja Designs re do my stator on my 03 crf450 last year and set me up with a lighting kit and had nothing but problems with it , I could not keep a light in it for more than a few hours and the worst part is they could not figure out the problem. So I would never get anything from them again.