Sign in to follow this  

xr80 lost all spark??

My friend has a xr80...a 1987 that he just rides when his z400 is broken. At 180lbs he looks kinda funny on it.

Anyway we got a ton of rain up here and he tried to ride on the road that was flooded like us on yz125's and my crf230.

He didnt make it about 5 ft then it died. WE pulled it out, got it running again and were good. The rest of the day his chain kept comming off and everytime he turned it off it would not start for about literally 25-50 kicks. messing with the gas and what not. So we got a truck to pick it up. WE got home and checked the filter and it was dry. Pulled the plug and besides the fact it was black as night (he is burning oil) it has no spark at all now. we tried everything possible. New plugs (3) non had spark. Pulled the wires from the coil...my friend put his finger on it and you get shocked...but not alot at all.

Anyone know where the water prob messed it up?

this bike had a ton of spark 2 days ago...now it has none.

Check and adjust your points gap. Clean and tighten the ground wire. If you cap slides up and down on the plug really easy, get a new cap. If still no spark, then start swapping out the stator and coil, with one that works.