Sign in to follow this  

230F Jetting for denver?

Quick question. I just bought a used 04 230F. I rode it around Sat. It feels real lean. I`ve been reading up on your posts on the needle replacement.I`m about to run down and pick up the parts but not sure what jets for this alt. (5800 ft) The owner befor me removed the baffle and air intake already.

The jetting now is

main - 115

pilot - 42

pilot screw 2 1/3 out

Factory needle

clip 3rd spot down

plugs very light with a bit of tan

Thanks for any help.

at least yours is brown...mine was WHITE

and it seems that everyone runs a 132 main, 45 pilot, power up needle in the 4th and fine tunes the fuel screw... thats what everyone keeps telling me and that there is my exact setup.

i've been trying to figure out the same thing - 230 at 9000' without baffles and with power up kit. (ahem...bump!)

132 main and 45 pilot is for the 230 (i beleive) I'd say try playing around with the fuel screw. Wait for 230F and he'll have your best answer.

Sounds like your in the ballpark for jetting. How does the bike feel when you pin it (with a load on it) If it bogs you'll need a bigger main jet.

You could also try experimenting with a power up needle or dropping the clip on the stock needle.

But the plug color you are describing sounds right, maybe just a tad lean but sounds like your right on the money. One side should be white, and one side should be brown. The reason for this is because the plus is not straight down, directly over the piston.

When I get home I'll pull out a jetting chart I have on the comp and see what it can tell me for your hieght... :cry:

Well I changed the needle and jet and cleaned everything out and took a shot in the dark.

main - 128

pilot - 45

pilot screw 1 3\4 out

clip 4 down

new plug

Bike sounds alot better. Much more top end. Feels a little flat in mid range.Little better snap on very bottem, still need to work on fuel screw setting. My problem is it`s 38 degrees and raining. Not the best conditions to work on jetting.

I am running the 132 main, 45 pilot, power up needle in the 4th and fine tunes the fuel screw and spent a week runnig around the mountains near Lake City, Colo. The bike ran great pumping an extra person on the back and we went up to near 13,000 feet. Bike was running a little rich at that altitude but we had no problems. Good thing, cause I didn't have a spare plug with me. I have my exhaust baffle out but rode with a friend recently and he left about the last 5" of the baffle in place. No difference in the way they pull, but his bike comes on slightly smoother when partially cracking the throttle. Probably his mixture is slightly richer: not what you want at higher altitude.

You changed the needle for the power up kit?

Your pilot may be too large. I'm running a 45 and i'm at sea level!

Ok, now that I'm home i checked the chart. If I did the calcs right, this is what it should be...

Considering your temp is 50 degrees F:

42 pilot

123 pilot (or around there)

4th clip

screw in about 1 1/8 turns.

Now, if your at 38 degrees constantly:

128 main

43 pilot (the closest would be a 42)

Clip on 4

Screw out about 1.5 turns

There ya go! :cry:

I did change the needle.Once it warms up I`ll change the main to a 122 and put back the pilot to a 42.

Thanks for the help. I`ll let you know the final settings.

P.S. In the winter we ride around 50 to 60 degrees