Sign in to follow this  

Motorcyclist caught speeding 205 in a 65 in MInnesota.

I was just watching CNN. Don't have all the details but they showed a heading that stated basically what the title of this post states. He was going 140 mph over the limit. :cry: It was supposedly on an interstate. Must have been a souped-up Hyabusa of some kind.

Do you think they will let him keep his license or his bike? :cry: :cry:

This fella is in serious trouble. :cry:

I am just wondering how they caught him, how they saw his tag or why he would stop.

Man, that just nuts on a public road.

If this garners alot of national attention, look for severe limits to be placed on superbikes in the near future.

No matter how fast your bike is, you aren't going to outrun a police radio. I've seen this happen about 1 - 2 times a year. I read about a guy on a CBR600F4i that was clocked at 165 on Lakeshore Drive in Chicago, at night! The cop hit his lights and the rider pulled over - strange. Larry

I am just wondering how they caught him, how they saw his tag or why he would stop.

You can't out run the radio.

The guy probably had a momentary brain fart, we all have the need to put the pedal to the metal, or twist it to the stop at this case.

Just just a good thing the guy the guy had the smarts to stop instead of running, at that speed it's better to get a big ass ticket than a toe tag.

According to the guy in the plane with a stopwatch, how accurate is that?

Minnesota trooper writes 205 mph speeding ticket

Associated Press

Published Tuesday, September 21, 2004

WABASHA, Minn. - With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a Stillwater motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license _ and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

The guy probably had a momentary brain fart, we all have the need to put the pedal to the metal, or twist it to the stop at this case.

Just just a good thing the guy the guy had the smarts to stop instead of running, at that speed it's better to get a big ass ticket than a toe tag.

At that speed there may be no toe to tag :cry:

I wonder what is going through someones mind at 200+ mph on public roads....the cars you pass look like they are backing up at 140 mph.

The fastest I have ever been is 140 to 145 and I thought that was quick. Location was a two lane highway in an isolated area. :cry: It was fun but now I am too old with too much to lose.

The speedo on my 72 Mustang only goes to 125, then the needle starts to bounce. It probably runs out of cam by about 140, but that's fast enough for me - you're really pushing the crappy aerodynamics of a car like that at that speed. No way would I ever top 140 on a motorcycle.

At that speed there may be no toe to tag :cry:

Looks like I know all about brain farts, brain farts, brain farts.

Just just a good thing the guy the guy

Someone hit me, I'm skip'n like an old 33 1/2 LP.

I got a video of a busa doing over 250mph on the computer. It was riding a wheelie till 140mph and from there to 250mph it accelerated like it was going from 0-60. Crazy. Anybody see the kaw ninja with the turbo on it that had 300hp at the wheel. I think I saw that on TDC.

I guess they did not see me tearing it up in the bush with my buddies. SORRY PIG!!

Probably had on shorts, sandals, a wifebeater, and some Oakleys. :cry:

:cry::cry: I was thinking the same thing myself.

when coming too, alive, I wonder the same thing.

Probably had on shorts, sandals, a wifebeater, and some Oakleys. :cry:

Not that it would matter at 205 anyway. At that speed no amount of safety gear is gonna help ya. Hell alot of people die in 55mph crashes while wearing gear.

I beg to differ. I'd think with a GOOD (<-- emphasized) set of leathers and so long as you didn't start rolling or hit anything, you'd come out pretty well free. That's a big IF on the rolling part... That'd get nasty real fast. :cry: