Sign in to follow this  

help with stock 02 450

I just got a stock 02 crf 450 and I was wondering if there are any thing that I can do to make it run the best. Jetting?(sea level) Also are the stock pistons know for being noisy, or should I just replace the piston? Any sugustions would be great, as I am new to the hondas, past bike was a yamaha wr400.

thanks

motowidow

The James Dean jet kit ,the custom needles make the puppy purr ,also if you replace the piston go to the 04 piston a touch more compression or after market you can get even higher compression.

You are likely to get suggestions that run from one end of the spectrum to the other. I would suggest doing a lot of searching on ThumperTalk and reading a lot of opinions before doing anything major. I am at near sea level and I was able to tune my bike to run fine in the woods. You will probably find out that the CRF 450 engine is a noisy one. Some people will tell you to replace the piston often but I do not think that is necessary. I have read about some who have hundreds of hours on their CRF 450 piston and it is still fine.

Although I have not done it yet myseld, I am going to get 20mm offset clamps becaue I have heard nothing but great things about how they help the bike turn. My 02 seems to push a lot in corners and just doesnt want to turn worth a darn. Storm-link suspension makes a link that I heard is great too, i just need the funds to get these for myself. I love my 02!!

I have had my 02 since May and love it. Run the stock settings listed in your manual and see where you are. My guess is at sea level you will be fine. The bike is awesome just stock, so...The trick is to get it as lean as possible at sea level knowing the more altitude you gain, the richer it gets. Hope this helps. Let me know if you plan any other mods, I have done a ton, and can give you some insight.

I have had my 02 since May and love it. Run the stock settings listed in your manual and see where you are. My guess is at sea level you will be fine. The bike is awesome just stock, so...The trick is to get it as lean as possible at sea level knowing the more altitude you gain, the richer it gets. Hope this helps. Let me know if you plan any other mods, I have done a ton, and can give you some insight.

the bike will be set up for supermoto/trails, so any sugestions on how to make it the best bike possible are helpfull

I wouldn't mess w/ the piston unless compression is down. You may want to measure valve clearances as that is one of the few performance related maintenance items that normally may change, if I'm understanding correctly my readings of the posts on this site. I've been taking the don't fix what aint broke approach with mine after deciding Hondas recomended maintenance schedule looks ridiculous for someone like me. My bike has been rock solid.