Sign in to follow this  

CRF R or X

finally decided its time for my crf450 to go, its just to much power for the tight stuff, i seem to be fighting the power all the time and i get tired. its great for going up the hill climbs and pulling wheelies but i'm more into the hare scrambles and enduro events now so its time to get something more usable. i had a go of a rmz250 at my local track sunday and i was very impressed, especially after i had been told by numerous people that 250's feel under powered. i just felt that all the power was usable unlike the 450 which i seem to always be holding back on.

anyway ill get to the point..... would i be better off with the 250r or the 250x?

will i be better off with the electric start, 18" wheel and wider gears of the x or will the x feel underpowered.

also how will the x be round the local practice track?

im thinking more of getting the x and then unrestricing the exhaust and re-jetting to liven it up a bit.

what do you think?

cheers

:cry:

There are more experienced than me to answer this, but...

The 250X will feel underpowered to you in my opinion. Why? Because you are used to the CRF450 - even though you say it is too much power for tight stuff.

I've ridden the CRF450R, the CR250, the CRF250R and the CRF250X, and I own an XR400. To me, the 250X easily felt the least powerful - even compared to my XR400 (though I think it actually has more power than my XR4 and it certainly is a smoother, broader power). I loved the CRF250R in the trails where I am. It was a perfect blend of power and maneuverability and it can still wake you up.

But I also like a kickstand, cushy suspension and e-start. I think the 250X is a great bike.

If I had to choose one, I would probably go for the CRF250R.

if your going to be doign scrambles I would definately recomend the X. The estart is awesome and for the dead engine starts makes it way faster.

My X is really competitive both on the mx track and the supermoto course. All i have done is the freebie mods and a Dr. D exhaust. A r is a little faster but not much. Go with the X... my x will have no prob keeping up with a stock RMZ/KXF

maybe the r is going to be the one for the job, i think the x model is going to me more xr power than crf power that im used to. especially with the wide ratio gearing, i spose its going to be more suited to trails than the ocational track day. i love my 450 but i really do feel im holding back on it. i'm only 160 lbs and cant throw my 450 around like id like to. heres what ive decided:

05 crf250

z-start

wont need the leccy start then.

The R is the ticket with the Z-Start. :cry: Valve it for the woods and you have a serious woods weapon.

I don't miss the 450 power in the woods at all, especially in the corners where the 250 excels.

I will say the 450 with the Z-Start makes it very docile in the woods in the nasty sections. I really want to put one on the 250 but really like it on the moto track with the stock clutch.

I would not pick a bike for the electric start. If you are too lazy to kick maybe you should just stay home and sleep. I have the R and I ride in tight woods and besides the stiff suspension (great on jumps though) it is a great bike. Everything is going to feel underpowered coming off the 450.

Bottom line is mine starts in one or two kicks so electric start would not save that much time even stalling in a race.

Go ride an X and an R and then decide. I am an ex-MX'er and Hare Scrambles racer and I love my 250X. If you ride it agressively it has plenty of power. Torque is not like on a bigger motor but learn to rev it and let 'er rip. My engine is still stock at this point.

I would not pick a bike for the electric start. If you are too lazy to kick maybe you should just stay home and sleep. I have the R and I ride in tight woods and besides the stiff suspension (great on jumps though) it is a great bike. Everything is going to feel underpowered coming off the 450.

Bottom line is mine starts in one or two kicks so electric start would not save that much time even stalling in a race.

If you are too lazy to kick maybe you should stay home and sleep?

:cry::lol::lol:

I love some peoples logic........... :lol::lol:

Ride em both if you get the chance.

One is a MX bike, one is an offroad bike.

You can modify either one if you choose.

You WILL NOT get the R to feel as supple and responsive off road as the X is stock.

Wont happen.

You can get it headed in that direction (with a bunch of $$$$) and some folks prefer a modified MX bike off road vs a woods specific bike, and thats awesome, but the Frame and suspension (which is different) on the X is designed for additional flex and off road response, vs the rigidity of the R which is built around for example. . . .huge tripples and the track. The X isnt the R with an 18" hoop in the rear a kickstand and an E starter bolted on.

Ive been in enough snotty, nasty steep, rock infested off-cambers and the poor schmuck in front of me lost it/wadded his bike up and it was all I could do to not go down myself and at times, I kill my motor.

Now, given the many situations where you cant even balance your bike, let ALONE swing out the kick starter and kick it through a couple of times....that happy button is pretty sweet.

But then I dont ride on groomed MX tracks and I dont ride in the staging areas at my riding areas, so kickstarting isnt always the "easiest" method of getting the machine running. To each their own, why there are so many bikes out there!

Bottom line, bikes are changing, ride em both and SEE with your seat of the pants judgement which one is best. Honda did a pretty awesome job with both the R and the X and both are very capable, Both are, just dont sell the R or the X out just on paper or a couple of posts on an internet BB.

Now....does your bike hauler have electric start?....or do you still stand out in front of it and hand crank her through like the old model T's?

Maybe you should just stay home and sleep . . . . . .

:lol:

yes I know you were joking, so dont get your underwear wadded up.

Its all good and they are both sweet rides!

HR

With over 30 years of riding under my belt, I have reached this conclusion: you can make an MX bike into a pretty good offroad bike, but trying to make an enduro bike into an MXer is an exercise in frustration :cry:

Ok I admitt when I ride my DRZ the electric start and the smooth ride is awsome. But over any type of jumps it kills me. Ouch!! I probably would have purchased the X if it were out, but now that I started to go to the track I am glad I didnt. I want a X for my wife but it is just too tall, even with the lowering kit. Both great bikes tough choice. Oh, I still get made fun of at the track because I added a kick stand. Cant always find a tree when my wife cras :thumbsup:hes.

I ride HS/Enduro and rode an X and R "back-to-back" through the same trail. I thought the X was awesome, but the R was even more "awesomer" so that's what I bought. While I liked the X power, I loved the stronger "hit" that the R delivers.

I also put the Z-start on and that (IMO) makes the R win hands down (awesomer to the power 2). It turns the high first gear into an advantage in the tight stuff, you can plunk around, but still hit the throttle and blast up to higher speeds in first than the X without shifting.

I personally thought the X suspension was too soft for me (pushing 200#) and the R was just right.

Oh...I should have mentioned that the R/Z-Start combo will launch you off the HS dead engine start WAY quicker than ANY electric start bike. (See previous posts "Starting in Gear...Mission Impossible/Mission Accomplished.)

With over 30 years of riding under my belt, I have reached this conclusion: you can make an MX bike into a pretty good offroad bike, but trying to make an enduro bike into an MXer is an exercise in frustration :cry:

I agree. They are both great bikes intended for different missions. I have the same issue when I was looking at a 03 WR250 or a YZF250 for tight woods work. For me the YZF was the clear choice. I wanted the lighter weight, more power and close ratio tranny as I ride all tight technical stuff and this actually works better. Also the MX version of blue or red has much more power and less weight. Basically if you want to trail ride and are not up over the bars and pinned a lot get the X. If you hit the track a lot, race off road and are competitive get the R. With the R all you will have to do is get the suspension done and get some protection on it and ride. With the X you will need to do a lot of performance mods and try to loose some weight. Again. Both excellent bikes. If the E-start is not a big deal for you and you don’t need lights it is my opinion that the R is a quicker path to a fast nimble trail machine. If creature comforts and trail amenities are your thing get the R.

The R with a Z-start (had one on my YZF) will be a rocket in the tight stuff.

PS – I always thought the E-start was goofy on a great starting bike but now that I have one on my 04 TE450 I love it. Just like HR says above, there are a lot of situations where it comes in very handy.

Man, I just re-read my post and I flip flop as much as Kerry :cry:

time to look out for the 05 250r to get here i think.

cheers for the info lads.

Yes you do, here's your sign. . . . . .

HR

wheres the sign :cry: