Sign in to follow this  

Does new motor oil in a bottle have a shelf life?

I have a few quarts of Redline synthetic 15/50 that are unopened, but have been sitting in my garage for five years. Do fluctuating winter and summer temperatures have any sort of effect on shelf life?

I am sure that is not possible, but I don't want to blow the engine on my new TE250.

Greg

I heard that oil becomes acidic after awhile. That’s why your supposed to change it every 3 months. But that might only be when it is run in the motor and it becomes infested with dirt and grime and soot.

Well think about the conditions of a engine. It's not clean at all, and the carbon can't be good for the oil...

I doubt it would. Goin though the garage I found some old ass oil. Still had viscosity. Not that I used it, but it was still probably really good...

It's redline anyways. That shits so good even after 100 years it'll still be equal to Castrol or Mobil 1 :cry:

Considering it sat in the ground for millions of years before it was put in a bottle(which is also a petroleum product), I'd say it'll keep a while.