Sign in to follow this  

suspension?

i've been riding my 230 for a while now and im starting to ride it pretty hard. im not very familiar with doing stuff to the suspension. i weigh about 160 lbs, any ideas on new/modified springs for a fair price?

fyi - I'm just finishing some mods to my bike. As soon as I get some pics of it, I'll post it. I have a revalved shock and I'm finishing up on the CR80 forks conversion. I'll post every little detail.

To stiffen up the front you can get springs ($80) or cut your existing springs and put in a spacer that is the same length you cut your springs ($3). I've read some posts, where people just put in a spacer without cutting the springs, which is wrong. :cry: But I don't want to get into that. But when you cut them, the end has to be flat like the way it is before you cut them. SO cut it, then take a grinding wheel or something to make it flat. A washer should lay it it flush.

I am one of those who put spacers in without cutting the spring (so I am wrong). But it does help out alot. I also swiched to the 15w fork oil. I would reccomend doing this mod before doing anything else. I do have a BBR fork spring on the way. I'm going to try the 1 BBR / 1 Stock spring setup (probably wrong too!) and see how that works out. At the least, change the fork oil.

Shimming the front suspension TO A POINT is ok. If you shim too much, the coils could bind, or even if you shim too much, you'll bottom out the coils before you will bottom out the tubes!

The people that are doing 1/2" spacers is entirely fine. All the shimming does is preload the suspension more so it gets to the stiffer part quicker.

Lunchboy,

Nothing wrong with preloading (putting washers on top)the spring. Putting spacers in is the same as turning a preload nob. When you go with one BBR preload the stock spring 2-3 mm (for starters, you can easily add more if need) & no spacers on the BBR. :cry:

Lunchboy,

Nothing wrong with preloading (putting washers on top)the spring. Putting spacers in is the same as turning a preload nob. When you go with one BBR preload the stock spring 2-3 mm (for starters, you can easily add more if need) & no spacers on the BBR. :cry:

It was socalxr that said that, not lunchboy :cry:

Lunchboy said, "I am one of those who put spacers in without cutting the spring (so I am wrong)"

I was assuring him he is not wrong for doing that. :cry:

Man, that's why I didn't want to get into the whole cutting springs thing. :cry: But anyway, First I'm no suspension guru. But, I know that all the people I know who are guru's, always say to cut the springs. I'm sure shimming just a few mm, is just like adding pre-load to the rear. But I do know cutting it makes the spring stiffer. WHY and how much :cry: I don't know. But tell you what. I'll research and see if someone out knows the ins and outs on all this. :cry: But it is real easy, just cut them, grind it flat, and put in spacers (pvc, aluminum, even clutch springs)

I know that all the people I know who are guru's, always say to cut the springs. I'll research and see if someone out knows the ins and outs on all this.

I tried that on the CRF/XR mini thumper forum... two guys said they have done it to their bikes. One says he does it to ALL his bikes. Asked them how much they cut off... got no reply. Sounds like a sad Beatles song. :cry:

Someones got to know.. :cry:

Cutting your springs will not make them stiffer, only shorter. If you have two springs wound with identical wire, and wound them to the same length, but winding one with FEWER coils, the spring with fewer coils will be stiffer as there is more motion/ movement within the same travel. I hope that makes some sense. Springs are an engineering marvel that is a science unto itself....... I have been running a 1.125" preload spacer for over a year. If I removed the same length of spring, and then add the spacer, I would in effect have the same preload. But, I may then cause possible coil bind as there are less coils to compress. I am very satisfied with the current action of the forks. I can't imagine them being any "stiffer" with out other modifications to alter or adjust the dampening.

Cutting your springs will not make them stiffer, only shorter. If you have two springs wound with identical wire, and wound them to the same length, but winding one with FEWER coils, the spring with fewer coils will be stiffer as there is more motion/ movement within the same travel. I hope that makes some sense. Springs are an engineering marvel that is a science unto itself....... I have been running a 1.125" preload spacer for over a year. If I removed the same length of spring, and then add the spacer, I would in effect have the same preload. But, I may then cause possible coil bind as there are less coils to compress. I am very satisfied with the current action of the forks. I can't imagine them being any "stiffer" with out other modifications to alter or adjust the dampening.

Coeshow,

First, cutting the spring does make it stiffer. Reason being each coil will deflect the same amount given a straight rate spring. So, more coils equals more deflection. Half the active coils would be twice the spring rate(stiffer) because it would have only half as many coils deflecting. Make sense?

Second, if you cut 1.25” from your spring you’d have to add a spacer to replace the removed spring to get it to work. If it was only 1.25” long you would have little or no preload. The spring would not be pushing the bike up as high but you'd have a stiffer spring.

Regards Toast

:cry:

wow, talk about a can of worms! i can see that if you replaced 1-1/2" of spring with 1-1/2" of spacer, it would be stiffer. i just didnt understand why adding 1/2" or so of spacers WITHOUT cutting the spring would cause a problem. interesting though. :cry:

I always seem to cut 1 1/2" with 1 1/2 spacers and thicker oil. Then it's still not stiff enough, I opt for stiffer springs.