Sign in to follow this  

Suspension Missing something

Hey,

Ive owned my 02 YZ250F for almost a year now and have loved every bit of it to death. Ive finally got the engine perfect, and hoping to do some fall races. Well the other day I had the Honor of sitting on a 05 YZ125 :cry:, and man it is awesome. Nothing compared to the 01 Yz125 I owned for 3 years.

After sitting on the bike I remembered how much better the suspension had been on my 01 YZ125 than my 250F, And I dont hate the suspension on my 250F its just missing something, and its the same suspension, and actually the 125 has .2kg less on each end than the 250F has but weight makes up for extra needed on the 250F. And I take in account for the added weight etc. I had all the fluids changed in my forks about 3 months ago, and got my shock serviced as well which did help a bit, And I got it clicked in for my weight. I guess its hard to explain what the suspension is missing that my 01 had, It just doesn't feel like it reacts as fast I suppose or not as nimble, suspension wise, Ive learned that no 250F is any 125 :cry:, maybe the springs are worn? I weigh about 185lbs. Do any of you guys feel the same about your 250F's?

I think the suspension on my '03 is by far the best I've had on a Yamaha yet. Stock clicker settings, oil height and 98mm of sag. Thing tracks perfect, soaks up the little stuff, and takes the big hits.

Yeah Ive loved the suspension on both my bikes. My suspension just feels Sorta Lagged compared to my 125. And everything has been set to my weight. So I'm wondering what it is?

How much do you weight? The stock springs are ideal for around 160lb rider. If you weight more than that, stiffer springs might do you some good. I am going to try .46's up front and a 5.0 shock spring. I will know in a couple of weeks if it made a difference.

this may sound like a stupid question but do you set the shock sag sat on the bike ie measure the sag with bike stood up then get on it and adjust the sag to read the desired mm's ? :cry:

cheers

andy

Call Don at SiTec Racing, www.sitecracing.com. If you pull the forks and shock and ship to him, suspension rework is typically $350.

My 04 250F was good, but missing a little something. Primarily, could not tighten down the rear rebound enough to prevent being pogo'd over the bars when I screw up, unless I was willing to take compressing over high speed bumps. Front was too stiff at top and beat my hands to death. I weigh 170 lbs.

SiTec does suspension and performance for US Military. You won't regret a dime of the money.