Sign in to follow this  

DR 650 Eibach Rear Spring vs. Progressive Rear Shock Spring

Just got a great deal on a new 2003 DR650. Doing my usual modification inquiries. I'm riding at a mature weight of 220 personally earned pounds and seriously thinking about upgrading the rear shock. I'm probably going to ride the bike 60/40 street/dirt. Norman Kouba (great guy!) sells a German Eibach 883 series spring ($130 w/adapter) and Dual-Star sells a "Larry Roessler Signature Series Progressive Rate Spring" ($90). Price diffference is not significant to me, but has anybody had any experience with these? Opinions and recommendations

• are eagerly sought.

With the Eibach you can get a stiffer spring rate. The Progressive spring (which I have) is only marginally stiffer than OEM. If I would have known that to begin with I would have gone with the Eibach. I have a 97 DR650 converted to a Supermotard. But originally it was my off-road weapon. Just way to heavy for the trails. I picked up an old DR350 for cheap instead. Love the 650 Motard though.

I think either way, they are both better than standard, but I would check into the Eibach. I weigh about the same as you. I guess it also depends on how you like your bike set up. I came from street riding so I like my bikes a bit stiffer.

BTW, you may want to have your shock rebuilt with thicker weight oil.

From what I've read, if you go with the Eibach, then you'll probably want to go with Kouba's links as well, to soften up just the initial spring resistance. Otherwise, if you go with the Progressive, you don't want the kouba links b/c they would defeat the purpose of a progressive spring (a progressive spring uses say 10lb/ft to compress 1" and 20lb/ft to compress the second inch...and so on, whatever the numbers are...while a standard rate spring uses the same pressure to compress each inch of travel).