Sign in to follow this  

Which fluid for Hydraulic clutch on 2004 KTM?

I have a 2004 525EXC and the manual says "DO NOT use the Mineral oil, use the bio dedredable oil". The cover says use only Mineral oil. That's confusing.

Also its confusing that when I goto Redwood City KTM they have two different sized bottles of Magura Blood, and the smaller one costs $10, the bigger bottle is $4. Both say Bio degradable, but only the bigger bottle says mineral. Both say they are for clutches.

I asked the service dept and they have no clue? What do I put in my clutch?

Thanks in advance,

Try using 5W fork oil. I use it in my bike and it works pretty good.

i use the mineral oil, it does the same thing with the brake fluid, in the book it says to use DOT 5.1 (which ive never heard of) and if you put DOT 3 or 4 in there you should switch it out ASAP but on the brake cap it says use only DOT 4. so somebody needs to make up there mind some where :cry:

BE CAREFUL mixing up the fluids you use in the clutch and the brakes. :cry:

The internal seals in the systems are designed to work only with certain types of fluids.

If the wrong fluid is used, it will damage the seals and you'll end up with a big (and potentionally dangerous!) mess on your hands! :cry:

......and the correct fluid would be..... :cry:

BE CAREFUL mixing up the fluids you use in the clutch and the brakes. :cry:

The internal seals in the systems are designed to work only with certain types of fluids.

If the wrong fluid is used, it will damage the seals and you'll end up with a big (and potentionally dangerous!) mess on your hands! :cry:

The correct oil to use is Magura "Blood" Hydraulic Mineral Oil. It's $2.95 per small bottle. I've also heard you can use 5wt fork fluid or automatic trans fluid. We use the Magura "Blood" though.

Our bottles (small & large) say bio hydraulic oil.

Thanks that's what I got. I was just really confused since there was also a smaller bottle labeled "Magura Blood Hydraulic Oil". ALso Bio, but $9.95 for only 50ml.

Also the manual is confusing.

Thanks again,

I had a 00 200e since new and i allways ran atf no prob.Just make sure you bleed it right.Back bleeding is the best way to go.

i called magura and they said their blood oil, fork oil, and/or transmission fluid would all work just fine... and he went on to say "just not brake fluid".

Anyone ever use baby oil? I was reading the label on a bottle today, says it's mineral oil. :cry:

We have used minerial oil,3wt shock oil,and now using mobil 1 synthetic tranny oil and they all work fine.

Since day one when KTMs came with hydraulic clutches,I have used on my own and my customers KTMs Baby-Mineral oil from the Drugshop.And it works fine,does not cost a lot and is always available.

Cheers,Speedy----->>>>>>>>> <font color="orange"> :cry:

Also its confusing that when I goto Redwood City KTM...

I asked the service dept and they have no clue?

You made two mistakes, and they are quoted above. :cry:

...their service dept. doesn't have a clue. I have seen their work first hand. :cry:

Anyone ever use baby oil? I was reading the label on a bottle today, says it's mineral oil. :cry:

That's all I use. Look for the "light" kind if they sell it.

...and, UNSCENTED!

you can use automatic tranny fluid, it works greeat, thats what i use, and the guy who knows more about KTMs than probably anybody else uses, its cheap, and it will go a long way because its in such a big bottle :cry: