Sign in to follow this  

checked my valves for the first time,

checked my valves for the first time, extremely easy and was done in about 20 minutes. Im 16 years old and pretty mechanicly inclined. I was su[prided how easy it was thoiugh!!

just wait till you rebuild your first motorcycle engine like i did. then youll really be proud of your self. im 15 and i rebuilt my xr500 engine. but yeah valves are pretty easy to check. i also found that out :cry: :cry:

i rebuilt my first small block chevy when i was 11 i had a harley hummer for a bike @ that age not much of a chalenge to keep that thing running .a year or so later i got a parilla and couldnt find engine parts for it my mother bought me a 250 ducati engine @ a rumage sale for $5 and i made engine mounts and shoved that in for a while .things are diferent now our local high school has a small engine class they have 2 dynojet dynos one for sleds and a dual wheel for carts and bikes they also have a flow bench and just about every thing you would find in a high tech shop one of the kids is also an electronics geek and has made his own ignition with a programable spark curve. the auto shop has a in floor automotive dyno jet dyno tell your parents you want to move to Mt pleasant michigan to go to high school .

what tools are needed to check valves?

2005 CRF250R

White Bros. Carbon Pro Exhaust

Pro Action Re-Valve susp.

8mm socket to remove shrouds, petcock and tank, 10mm socket to remove seat and valve cover, after that a set of fealer guages. Oh yeah, and a 10mm allen so you can check to make sure your at TDC.

A extension and ratchet would be helpful to go with the sockets! :cry:

Actually the 8mm is for achieving TDC and the 10mm is for removing the cover -- but your list is more comprehensive than mine, I would've just told him some feeler gauges. :cry:

Is it absolutly neccissary to find TDC? I checked mine twice, but I dont think it said anything about finding it in the manual, and so I didnt do it. Do I need to go do it again?