Sign in to follow this  

CRf250 X, Valve Adjust. . . 30 + hours now

I ride mostly single track, but have had her up against the rev limiter as well, just not like you folks that have the R on a MX track or in the desert.

Running Shell Rotella-T Synthetic in both sides (engine and trans)

Change the oil every two rides or 100 miles (which ever comes first.

Intake and exhaust havent moved, spot on to spec at the "beginning" of the adjustment range. :cry:

In fact when I pulled the valve cover the valve train and everything else looked like they just came out of a bag and installed, I was amazed. Everything was still shiny new, oil had about 45 miles + on it, still clear/out of the jug color.

Oil?

Luck?

Dont care, either way, Im smilin!

I always said it in the Army and the same applies here....I will take luck over good ANY day

:cry:

HR

First off, HR.... congrats! :cry:

When/if you get the chance - pop the top off of your carb.

(Referring to the "T"-shaped cover on top...)

See if you are seeing dirt/dirt/sludge in the top part of the carb. Some of us have found a *lot* of dust up in the top part of the carb.... which could be the legendary "micro-dust" reputed to be eating the intake valve coatings.

If your carb top is still real clean - you might not have any leaks or might be not riding in a pre-dominantly dusty area.

Current theory/guess has the carb throttle shaft as a possible entry point -- but nothing has been proven yet.

But if you do go in for a look -- grease around the carb throttle shaft real good.

Cheers! - RandyB

E-

Thanx, my tank and seat are still off, so will do that check before I button her back up. My jetting is spot on now, so the grease, as well as maybe a touch of silicone on top may be in order, and I will eyeball the the throttle wheel shaft area as well.

thanx for the tip, I will report what I find.

When I got the bike I pulled the boot from the airbox and siliconed that joint as well, after following the saga with previous Honda airbox issues.

HR

I ride mostly single track, but have had her up against the rev limiter as well, just not like you folks that have the R on a MX track or in the desert.

This pretty much describes my riding style to a T. I suspect that my valve's will be fine when I finially get around to checking them (yes I know I shoulda checked them by now....No I havent done it yet.... Bad yzman bad...bad.... :cry:)

But I do not rev the bike all that much. I am a lugger. I run on the bottom end power for the most part. I went 4 years on my yz400 before even checking the valves, replacing the rings. And even then they wern't outta spec all that much. The stock clutch lasted 4 years as well.... I guess I am getting at is that I am not hard on my stuff and I kinda doubt (hope) that I wont have the valve problems that some are having.

the valves will stay ok for about 100hrs. of hard single track and once the intakes need adj. they will wear rapidly, probably 10 to 20 hrs max and its going to be the right intake that will go first, do to head porting