Sign in to follow this  

BURNING OIL? YES OR NO? 05 250R

When i check the dipstick after a ride it will read low, even after I warm bike for 3 minutes. So let's say I add 70ml to get the dipstick reading back up to normal, when I drain the oil and then measure it I come up with the total amount of oil I started with and then added. What I'm saying is when I drain the oil I measure it, and its like 730ml, when I started with 660 and then added 70ml when the dipstick was low. So really it seems like its not burning any oil and the dipstick reading is off. Now when I install fresh 660ml the dipstick reading is perfect, than after a ride it drops. Any Suggestions?

You've got to make sure you use the same procedure all the time in order for your dipstick comparisons to be valid.

After draining the oil, put in about 650cc. Then start the bike and let it idle for 3 minutes. Wait 3 minutes and check the level. Add oil until you are at the full mark.

Every time you check the oil warm it up first and then let it sit 3 minutes after you shut it off. Make sure the bike is level and upright. I have about 6 hours on my 05-R, all hard MX track time, and it hasn't burned a drop yet.