Sign in to follow this  

shipping a bike by freight

anyone know the best way to ship a bike from nj to new mexico? air freight is too much, anyone have any ideas?

Go for a road trip and pick it up.... Just how far is it from NJ to new mexico?

My dad sent me a boat from NC! I think he put it on a train and that's how it got to CA. Then, of course, it came by barge to HI.

Far. :cry:

Oh.... Our countries only 1500 odd kilometers long..... Only takes a couple of days to ride the whole length of it. Ferry trip in the middle takes the longest. Sorry. :cry: Still don't have to drive far to go riding either.

Far. :cry:

Oh.... Our countries only 1500 odd kilometers long..... Only takes a couple of days to ride the whole length of it. Ferry trip in the middle takes the longest. Sorry. :cry: Still don't have to drive far to go riding either.

It'd be about the equivalent of driving your entire country.. twice.. just to get there. New Jersey is on the east coast, next to New York.. New Mexico is left of Texas.

http://www.town-usa.com/states.html

You'd be going from NJ to NM... A fairly long drive. :cry:

There should be a few recommendations to use Forward Air, but I can't recommend them at this point. They damaged my bikes and are trying to bully me into taking a $267 settlement for a $980 claim.

I haven't had a chance to talk to them yet about this...

I will post a thread to inform everyone of the outcome.

I ship a few bikes. It depends on the value of the bike. If its a rare vintage bike I ship them Allied Van Lines. If its a beater I send it common carrier. Forward Air is notorious for trashing bikes. I saw a sorta-rican driving a fork lift at Forward Air with 2 bikes in crates on a fork lift going full blast.

If the bike is carefully crated I would use a common carrier such as ABF or Roadway.

Yeah the bike will be shipped in the original crate, those yamaha crates are really tough

I ship a few bikes. It depends on the value of the bike. If its a rare vintage bike I ship them Allied Van Lines. If its a beater I send it common carrier. Forward Air is notorious for trashing bikes. I saw a sorta-rican driving a fork lift at Forward Air with 2 bikes in crates on a fork lift going full blast.

If the bike is carefully crated I would use a common carrier such as ABF or Roadway.

How were they crated?

Note the side impact that caused the TTR125 to topple over, and the crush from the top that damaged the YZ450.

crate.jpg

The crate wasn't the best, but it would have been ok if they didn't put a pallet on top of it.

I had my son's KTM 50 shipped from Kansas to CA for $69, but total weight was only 100lbs; about the limit of Fed EX Ground.

My quad was shipped via Forward Air from Ohio to CA for $270, and it's total weight was over 400lbs. They have a bunch of little details that are worth paying attention to, but you can also specify that nothing can be set on top of your crate for an additional fee. If you do a good job of crating it, everything should be OK.