Sign in to follow this  

Getting into test riding

Does anyone out there know who I would contact about test riding either bikes or terrain for magazines? Figure there must be someone out there looking for more women out on machines in a range of trails and I definately will do it without fear. :cry:

Good luck--this is an industry where you gotta know somebody. Most of the mags have their offices in SoCal, in the heart of riding country, where even female riders are easy to come by. In the (few) bike reviews I have read with a woman, they grabbed either a WMA rider or somebody's wife/girlfriend.

'Bout all you can do is buddy up to the mag editors when they are out at the track and impress them.

Good luck!

I know several of the larger mx magazine editors. And I'll tell you, they aren't usually looking for women. Their testers are usually retired pros with a proven testing record.

You DO have to know someone also. Once in a great while they might feature women's bikes, but even then those women end up being the wives or girlfriends of employees within the mag or company.

This is a tough one to get into even for pros. Just becuase you are the fastest person on the planet doesn't mean you are a good tester.

As yourself & Firecracker said and what I was also thinking. I have talked to several women that do work for those mags, but really haven't kept in touch with them due to at the time (4 years ago), I was just returning to the sport. I'll see if my charm, plus my ability will work and continue my research. Thanks for your input.

Well, with me...it's not about who's the fastest, but about a persons ability. If they have great ability and add the speed, along with knowledge of the machines than that's an important factor...atleast to me and to the people I know. Friends and family are the ones who think I should get into it because I have an interest in bikes with a pretty decent amount of knowledge {that I keep expanding on} and as I will quote from a couple friends, "she rides like a guy and has more balls than many of them, but she's still a chic". :cry:

I know dirt bike had an arrticle with Kelly Yancey not too long ago. She is a local D37 GP expert racer and works in the industry... she is very cool and a great rider. I have ridden with her once so I know first hand...

but to get in the door...knowing somebody and being fast with a winning record helps. I dont think ive seen women doing testing in the mags. I have seen them in for other reasons but not testing.