A WARNING FOR THOSE WHO RIDE AT WHARTON STATE FOREST, NJ

guys,

me and my buddies have 4 street legal dualsports. we went riding at wharton forest in the pine barrens of nj the other day. around 5pm we came across some sort of residence located within the state forest (weird i know). it was near bulltown road. anyway-i saw my friend in the front of our pack do a quick 180. apparently he saw some guy start sprinting towards his car. long story short-we all flipped around and about a minute later I NOTICE THIS GUY'S GREEN RANGE ROVER DISCOVERY on my ass and blowing his horn. this nut chased me and my other friend (the other two guys were way ahead and had turned on another trail) at speeds up to 60-70 mph and up to 5 feet away from my back tire. if one of us would have fallen it would have been GAME OVER. i couldnt get on any smaller trails because i had too much speed to turn in. this guy even chased us up on the paved public roads for about a mile. i had it pinned at 76 mph on the public road when he was behind me. he finally gave up and turned around.

anyway-i reported the incident the next day to the ranger station. if we were trespassing we sure as hell didnt know it. nothing is marked out there.

anyway-if you do ride out there-this guy drives a green, range rover discovery with a roof rack. he looked about 35 with a beard and bushy brown/black hair. it happened around a trail near bulltown road. i checked a map when i got home and i am almost 100% sure we were within the park.

apparently they have had trouble with this guy before according to the ranger.

It's not uncommon to have private property located within State or federal parks, but usually it is marked as being private. That guy sounds like a real lunatic. I'm glad you guys are okay. If it was private, it seems a simple, "Hey guys, this is private land starting at such and such spot, so please go around" would have been more appropriate than him trying to kill you guys. No joke I would report it to the police as this was attempted vehicular HOMICIDE. That guy needs to be put away.

Jerry

I live very close to where you guys were and think we should get about 15+ legal bikes to ride right down that road looking for this guy.... See how big he is then... See if he starts any trouble and if he does or makes any threats.... Call the state police.... I once had a guy chase me down a single track trail in Wharton right off of Atsion Rd.... He was putting on a big fuss waiving his hands and screaming some pretty bad words as I approached him.. He was suprised that I just keep on riding right up to him and jumped off my bike, I was friendly, overly friendly until he setteled down... I just told him my bike was 100% street legal and was not doing anything wrong riding were I was, I was on a fire cut at the time, s I was right.. And if he doughted that I would be more then happy to call and have a ranger meet us... He sid no, we talked a bit and he told me how he brought the house he did because it backed to the woods and though it would be quite allthe time, but there are always hunters, motorcycles and trucks and parties back there... OH WELL should have known better...

I need a little clarification. Are you saying he lived in the private residence? Or, did you just run into him near there? I am going down there later today. I do not pay attention to the road names as I have a GPS to navigate. I hope I can figure out where you're talking about so I can steer clear. Thanks for the warning. I am glad no one in your party got hurt.

I tried riding there once. I u-turned at bonehill rd, then crossed some RR tracks.

Twenty feet into the sand, a local policeman caught up to us and started freaking out on

me and my buddies, like if we just killed someone.

Veins were popping out of his head.

We were like, "ok, guy, we'll leave. relax man. we're going." ?

I tried riding there once. I u-turned at bonehill rd, then crossed some RR tracks.

Twenty feet into the sand, a local policeman caught up to us and started freaking out on

me and my buddies, like if we just killed someone.

Veins were popping out of his head.

We were like, "ok, guy, we'll leave. relax man. we're going." ?

That makes me wonder how many police or rangers even understand the concept of a street-legal dirtbike. My biggest worry when on a trail is that some Barnie Fife is going to hastle me for having a dirtbike on road, when clearly I am street legal. I have a high respect for most officers but some are really stupid. If at all possible I like to check in with a ranger station to verify roads are open etc. that way I know for sure if I'm allowed to be there.

Jerry

to chase you down with a truck is illegal.

he chased you off "his" property and onto public land and used his vehicle like a weapon with intent to do harm.

If I chase you down the street with a baseball bat swinging just over your head, I would get arrested. Same thing with a truck.

I would report him and have him arrested.

guys- i think he lived on the property. i did report it to the chief park ranger. i thought that they had jurisdiction in this case, probably stupidly. definetly a police matter. as i said, it was near bulltown road. there was 4 of us but we got seperated early on, and the other 2 were not part of the chase. as far as pulling over goes, trust me its not your first instinct when a nutbag is coming at you at 70 mph. i know the ranger said she would go over there and talk to him, but yeah-in retrospect i should report him to the cops. everybody be careful down there.

I'm with Gyro on this one for sure! If that dude did that to me and i got away unharmed that would be the last time he ever drove that Rover! I would definitly let him know that the forest around him is extremely vast and a guy could dissapear in it ever so easy! Need to get like 50 dual sports together and just hound the dude all day long one after another ! He would lose it! ?

Need to get like 50 dual sports together and just hound the dude all day long one after another ! He would lose it! ?

Unfortunately, him losing it would probably include one or more of the riders getting run over or shot. I would hate to have this happen. The guy is obviously a lunatic. Let the authorities handle him. I rode back there last night and deliberately stayed away from that area.