Sign in to follow this  

boots (footwear not forkwear)

I'd post this on a gear thread, except there isn't any. And since I just got a KLX, figured I'd post it here. I need to get a good pair of boots. I've notice some of the 2004's are on 'special'. I was thinking of sidi vortex (not the evo vortex...out of my price range). For sale at 190$. What does everyone like and think. As far as boots go, I'm a novice. Actually, I'm kind of a novice at all this stuff. Anyway...thanks.

Brad

Go to your local shops and try on several different brands. Keep in mind you get what you pay for, but you can also save a lot of money by setteling for something in the middle of the road. I have a pair of Fox Forma Comp boots that were on sale when I bought them and I've been very happy with them. In my opinion, if you stay between $150 - $200 you can find a decent pair of boots. You'll want something that you can wear without being uncomfortable. :cry:

I tried on a lot of different boots and settled on the Alpinestars Tech 6. They felt as good as the Tech 8 to me and were considerably cheaper. A good way to save $ is to try on several pairs from different mfr's at the shop, find out what feels good - then look for the best online deal. :cry:

Do not cheap out on boots. Especially if you're a novice, your feet are going to take a lot of abuse. Find a good quality boot that fits you well. I wouldn't worry too much about comfort when you try them on - they will all feel terrible. A lot of people like the Fox Forma's, but I hated mine. They felt like new every time I put them on, but were almost OK by the end of the day. Now I've got Alpinestar Tech 6's and love them. Try on as many as your local store has before you make up your mind.

Thanks for the help. Sounds like sampling some at the local shop, then checking around for the best deal is the way to go. Maybe the locals will cut me break, since it is nearly october, and there's not much use for dirtbike boots in the winter here.

You have to know how you intend to use the boots. I went a bit larger so I could fit the extra waterproof socks for the cold wet seasons. I don't think my shins are that big but I sure had trouble fitting boots with knee pads. Many of the knee pads have a plastic shin guard and that takes up a bunch of room in the boot. I suggest you try on the boot with a big thick sock and knee pads if you use them.

I went with Gaerne, because they fit. Alpinestars look nice but I have never found one to have enough room for my feet, they are skinny, of course I do have wide feet. I also had good luck with Fox. But I wouldn't be too concerned with brand, most important is fit.

I wouldn't go real cheap either, its nice to have a tough boot with good protection. You can get great stuff for under $200, over that I think it's more style or preference. I think $200 is too high, I think I paid like 180 or something, but if you have a tough time finding a pair that fits like me, you may have no choice. I have a terrible time finding any footware to fit my short fat feet.

Many boots had really lame buckles also, they were too hard to latch and unlatch. Make sure you try them both on and latch and unlatch them completely to see how they work.