Sign in to follow this  

DRZ Withdrawls in Okinawa

Hey all. Just got the email up and running now that good ol Uncle Sam moved the family over to Oki. What a change from the deserts of So Cal. I accually miss Sand. The Super Motard thing is pretty heavy over here. And I am finding that the bikes and the style are begining to grow on me.

We were told that we couldnt bring the DRZ over here. Now that were over here we find that we could have. What a pain. Cost for a new one would be about a grand less than stateside. May have to look into buying one over here and shiping it home when the overseas deployment is over.

Well its good to read TT again. If there are any of you over in Okinawa riding or otherwise drop a pm or a message on this thread.

Eric, Liz and the kids :cry:

Id love to see some pics when you do start riding whatever you find to ride...!!!

See if you can get a good deal on the new 05 SM DRZ & a set of dirt rims...!!!

Lived there in 77 & 78 after my mom remarried my stepdad Marine. We lived

off base & I was pretty young (12) but still saw a great deal of the island. My sister

graduated HS there. Great place, would like to go back someday.

Um...if DRZ's cost a grand less over there, bring back 10 of 'em! :cry:

I was in OKI in 89-90, Camp kinser. I know how the cycling is and can only imagine how it is now. Can you send us some pics?

Yes, please post pics! I was on Okinawa from '89 to '95 (Ft. Buckner). I kinda miss the ol rock. It would be cool to see some riding pics (on and off road).

-Mike

Um...if DRZ's cost a grand less over there, bring back 10 of 'em! :cry:

Probably costs $1000+ to ship it back though.

I have a total of 7 months TDY(Temporay Duty)time over there from 79-82. US Air Force, Kadena AFB. Didn't seem to be too much for Dirt Biking over there. Lots of little street bikes. Of course back then for ENTERTAINMENT purposes there was BC Street, Whisper Alley..... Used to get great TDYs to the Phillipines and Korea from there. :cry:

We will most definately take some pictures for you all. Ill then have to learn how to post pictures. DRZs do cost less over here because you dont have to pay for the shipping to the States. So I would love to import you ten DRZs there GCVT but the import cost for you would make the savings moot. However as long as Michigan or Arizona will allow me to register and license a Japaneese titled bike the Gov will ship it with my house hold goods for FREE.

BC street is still here and still wild. Altho from what I heard its a bit more tame but I cant see by how much.

:cry: :cry:

So I would love to import you ten DRZs there GCVT but the import cost for you would make the savings moot. However as long as Michigan or Arizona will allow me to register and license a Japaneese titled bike the Gov will ship it with my house hold goods for FREE.

Damn :cry: I guess 10 or 11 DRZ's wouldn't count as household goods huh? :cry:

BC street was a wild, wild, wild place back in my time. I won't go into detail...... :goofy:I could tell stories all day. Couldn't imagine cutting a trail through some of that Jungle. Very thick. Always thought about those poor guys during World War II having to try to get through that stuff. Especially with HABU snakes in there! :cry:

at the dealer just down the road they have a yellow DRZ 400 all set up for supermoto. It has purple rims and all. I would have never thought that would have looked good but its pretty nice. Ill try to take a pic and show you all. Ive never been really into supermoto but I can understand why its popular here. There are very few places to ride Dirt Bikes on an Island thats only 80 miles by 30 miles (at the big part)

Liz (the Boss) thinks that we should get a Supermoto DRZ and get the extra wheels and tires so that when we go home we can set it up for dirt. Until then she can ride a DRZ thats similar to hers back home. And then we will have a pair of DRZs to ride in the Southern AZ deserts. (our next duty station hopefully) Things that make you go HMMMMMM.

Unfortunately for all of us I cant bring 10 DRZs back with house hold goods. The Gov I am sure would frown on that.

Sounds like Liz has a good plan, matching DRZ's... :cry: :cry:

Please take some pics for us when you get a chance, Id even paypal you a few bucks if you got

some pics of the house I lived in, if its still there. Ill have to get the address from my parents.

I know it was offbase, near Futenma, step dad was a Marine navigator/instructor on the C130.

We had some tall grass behind our house, saw a couple good fights between Habu & Mongoose.

And how about those spiders, man there were some big ones on that island.

Yellow with purple rims is a bit much, but its still a DRZ... :cry: :cry:

I would imagine it hard to find good dirt riding there with its limited size, wonder

if there are any beaches you could ride without getting into trouble?

Kawi,

NO need to paypal anything. If its there the next time were down there we will snap a few with the digital camera. PM us with the address and we will go see if its there. Yeah there are a bunch of beaches that you can ride on around here. There are a few tracks too. And even a couple of off road places to ride. As soon as I get back from Fuji Im supposed to go to the riding area with my neighbor to ride his WR 450 to see if a 400 is too big or not. If it is then ill get a used 250 just for the dirt and keep the DRZ supermoto. All I know is that I have to ride.

There's some really good scuba diving to be done in Oki. Especially if you can hit Torii Point. There's some nice diving to be done off Camp Schwab, too (lots of sea-snakes up there).

I was there for a while in '90 with 3/7, and again in '92-93 with 2/7. Pretty fun stuff. The first time I partied my brains out. The second time I spent most of my free time underwater. Both times were great!

Anyone who remembers BC street should remember the banana show. . . :cry:

Yeah, I tell a select few people about the bananna show and they have trouble believing it. It's almost like a comedy show if you've drank enough. I wonder if it's been the same old lady all these years?

Ha! The banana show :cry: yeah, I remember that. Scuba was fun too.. Street drag racing at 2am Sunday morning... Bars & nightclubs that are open till 5am... Typhoons... Tsu-bo Hachi restaurant.. so many memories.. :cry:

-Mike

Sorry for not posting guys. Im missing the Rock right now. Im here at Camp Fuji with my unit playing in the dirt. There is no snow on Fuji but today is a clear day and I am going to try to take some pictures. Now this would be a place to have a dual sport. There are tons of trails here. Just enough water and mud to keep it intresting. It would be tons of fun.

Glad to see so many DRZ bubbas who know the Rock.

Eric :cry: :cry: