Sign in to follow this  

2002 YZ250F Subframe Question

Does anyone have any pictures or drawings showing left and right side views of an '02 YZ250F subframe by itself or on the bike with the side number plates removed? I just bought the bike and I'm not sure if the left and right down tubes are bent or if that's by design (the left side is straight when viewed from the side but the right side has a noticeable jog in the area where the forward number plate fastener is located).

I saw that post but I was still not sure because of the angle the pictures were taken.

Anyone with an '02 YZ250F: If you look from the seat bolt attach point down to where the lower subframe tubes connect to the bike frame, is the TOP of each subframe tube straight (left and right side) or is there a bend? If there is a bend, how much from a straight line? Thanks.

I apologize for continuing on with this but I'm still concerned I have a bent subframe and I'm not doing a very good job explaining what I'm seeing. I've made a sketch showing where the jog is on the right side of the bike. If you lay a straight edge down the bottom of the lower support, I measure .50 inches from the theoretical straight line. Is this normal? The left side support is perfectly straight.

02YZ250FSubframeRevA.gif

Look at how your rear fender sits above the rear wheel. Drop a string down if you want. If your fender is straight and your muffler doesn't hit the tire or the rear brake caliper when riding hard, don't worry about your subframe!

Unless you are a very good rider or a poser, you are bound to bend your subframe if you ride MX. A very good rider told me "If you ain't bailin', you ain't railin'" and "Subframes are made to be bent...unless you buy titanium".

I guess you know it is bent too much if you butt hits the tire when you go to sit down. :cry:

The fender is bent (actually looks twisted) quite far to the left when viewed from behind the bike. However, the subframe is only about 1/2" off-center of the rear wheel (to the left). I'm thinking there's something else going on than just the subframe being off-center since the fender is much more than 1/2" off-center of the wheel. That's why I'm focused on the subframe support member but it may not have anything to do with the problem.

The "jog" in the subframe is normal. I don't know about the measurement but it seems about right. You can't judge it by the fender. Even brand new fenders are not perfectly straight and if they were, one get off would fix that.

Rick,

Thanks for taking one final look for me. I also found a picture on one of the exhaust manufacturer's websites of the bike's right side with the side plate removed and the frame looked very similar to mine.

I was able to slightly tweak the frame back into position and with a twist to the rear fender everything appears to be lined up pretty well. Hopefully someone else can use this information in the future. Thanks again for the help. :cry: