Sign in to follow this  

Track Accident, Health Insurance and Ethics!

Got a quick question.

I was in an accident at the Washougal National a couple of months ago and broke a few ribs etc. I was lucky enough to have my brother at the track to give me a ride to the hospital after the track EMT's checked me out, so no $100 per mile ambulance ride. Spent the night in the hospital due to a collapsed lung, but went home the next day under my own power. The bill was just over $6000, for cat scans, X-rays etc. My insurnce company ( Blue Cross) just sent me a questionnaire with some interesting questions. For example, did the accident occur on public or someone elses property and if so , please explain. Have I retained an attorney etc.

Anyone know from experinece what to expect and what is the least path of problems? I did tell the hospital staff what happened, but I don't know if that is confidential or? The accident was simply amatuer racing and the track was in no way at fault.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Tell the truth, it's up to your insurance company if they want to go after the track. Did you sign a liability waiver at the track?

well i think your insurance is trying to go after the track for payment..but they wont get anything from them...at least they shouldnt..

i had a crash this weekend myself..thought i broke my ribs,,but thank God i didnt...but i have broken them before...

good luck :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think you're ok, the insurance company was just wondering if there was a possible judgment from a lawsuit they needed to take action to lien against (if they wanted their money back they'd have to act before the judgment was issued or they're not likely to recover.) I doubt if they can pursue legal action against the track without your consent.

:cry:

You might have a no racing clause in your coverage, sometimes it even includes amature events.

I would be honest since whatever you told them @ the hospital is on record now. Hopefully

they are just asking the usual questions & you dont have a no racing clause.

dont tell them anymore then you were riding your bike and you crashed...most insurances have a racing clause.

If you say what I told you to...youre not lying and they cant bend you over...its an insuracne company you are dealing with...they dont want to pay shat.

NEVER tell any one at the hospital or else where you were hurt racing....

A lot of insurance companies will not pay. We jaut say we were play riding.

Whenever an insurance company pays anything, they retain the right to sue for recovery of that money. Its called subrogation. Chances are they wont go after anyone. It comes into play after car accidents where the injured party isnt at fault, and they go after the other drivers insurance. That questionaire may also be trying to see if you were involved in an un-covered activity. And they want to be sure you dont sue and collect damages that they paid for.

I have never been injured while riding, shoot, I have never even dropped the bike. I'm just that good a rider....I have been injured slipping in the bathtub. I have also fallen off a ladder, and tripped on the front doorsteps. Thats my story, and I'm stickin' to it.... :cry:

Robert :cry:

Watch out for hazardous hobby clauses too! I seperated a shoulder when I wrecked my buddies quad on his property and my insurance company excluded my claim under the hazardous hobbies clause. No, it did not specify atv's either. It mentioned rock climbing, hang gliding, and a couple other things along those lines. I did appeal and eventually won, but not before the hospital turned the bill over to a collection agency, so I had that mess to clean up too! :cry: From now on, every injury is because I tripped down the stairs at my apartment or wrecked my mountain bike when I hit a curb wrong. Screw ethics, if the health care industry had any, I wouldn't have to lie!

I should also ad that I have AFLACK and they do not cover racing injuries either. The moral is, don't have morals! :cry:

We jaut say we were play riding.

And be sure to add "by the railroad tracks." (They do not go after big conglomerates.) :cry:

I should also ad that I have AFLACK and they do not cover racing injuries either. The moral is, don't have morals! :cry:

That's the only reason I wouldn't sign up for FlaxA$$ :cry:

Screw ethics. Right!

The insurance companies have no ethics anyway.

And please....don't blame the lawyers. It has nothing to do with them. It is the insurance companies that are scums.

Watch out for hazardous hobby clauses too! I seperated a shoulder when I wrecked my buddies quad on his property and my insurance company excluded my claim under the hazardous hobbies clause. No, it did not specify atv's either. It mentioned rock climbing, hang gliding, and a couple other things along those lines. I did appeal and eventually won, but not before the hospital turned the bill over to a collection agency, so I had that mess to clean up too! :cry: From now on, every injury is because I tripped down the stairs at my apartment or wrecked my mountain bike when I hit a curb wrong. Screw ethics, if the health care industry had any, I wouldn't have to lie!

Of course its not the lawyers fault!

When a truck filled up with fertilizer pulls up to the ABA convention and detonates all America will stand up and cheer.

I wouldn't advise lying about whether you were racing if your insurance company specifically asks (which they probably won't). If you lie and they find out what really happened, they could probably go after you for insurance fraud.

This is a good heads up to everyone to check their medical insurance coverage. If your coverage excludes activities you normally participate in (or specifies a very high deductible for those activites), you should get a rider policy to fill the gap in your existing coverage.

I believe doctor/patient confidentiality only applies to medical conditions. So how you were injured is probably not priviledged information.

I would be suprsised if the track is still around with out protection on their part. I would just tell the truth.

BTW my admission that I race costs me an extra 6$ per month on my life insurance policy.

I cut my elbow open playing drop in ice hockey one day at the local YMCA. Had to go to urgent care to get it stitched up. Insurance company called a few weeks later with some questions. Wanted to know what happened. Told them I was playing ice hockey, and fell. They asked why I fell.

Because the game is played on ice!? Because ice is slippery!?

Thanks for the advice. I stated that I was hurt while off road riding on my dirt bike vs "racing". I will follow up with my insurance provider and see if I need to add aditional coverage. Sounds like it might be reasonably priced.

BTW my admission that I race costs me an extra 6$ per month on my life insurance policy.

Who do you have policy with? I signed up for term life insurance (underwritten by Lincoln Life I believe) a while back and when they found out I was racing they wanted to nearly TRIPLE the premium (I told 'em to shove the policy).