Sign in to follow this  

Calgary and area Riders?? BanffBoy?

Looking to do some riding over the next few days around the Calgary area. I have 5 days off starting 0400 hours this morning!!!! May need a lil sleep before riding though, just did a 70 hour set of night shifts!

Definitely heading to Waiporous on Saturday the 25th. Like to go out some more for those of you who can ride mid-week, if any one is interested.

Banffboy, you think you wanna lead Mike and I and those darn 2 smoke KTMs around some more primo Waiporous Single Track on Saturday??

Let me know!

Glenn.

I'm off Sunday thru Thursday and I'd like to go riding a couple of times. I'm in if anyone wants to rip up the foothills any of these days. :cry:

Trying to put together a big ride for Sat. South Ghost to Fallen Timber. This will require a gas stop @ waiparous and/or carrying gas with you. Ride distance 150km-200km, could take as long as 10hrs depending on the terrain and loop that we go on.

Sounds fun, BanffBoy. Now how would you arrange a fuel stop? Do you stash fuel somewhere along the route? Is the trip doable with 4-5 hours of fuel per tank??

Glenn.

Probably get out there early Sat. morning and drive up to the Waiparous Valley Rd and stash gas in the woods and then drive back down to South ghost to start the ride. That way you can gas up on the way to Hunter Valley and on the way back. Still waiting to hear from a couple of buddies what there plan is and which day works better(sat or sun)

Hey Banffboy and Glen, Mike here, I decided to check out this website finally and found this thread. I rode my KTM with you two in waiprous this August and would be interested in this ride. Are you much further than 50k between fuel stops. After our last ride I was down to less than an 1/8 tank and am somewhat nervous about pushing that envelope. I now have the barkbusters installed though so that will help out with the tree trails. Do I need to bring my water wings this time??? :cry:

:thinking:I'd be all over that if you go on Sunday...that is if you don't mind a tag along. I work Saturday. :cry:

Rides like that are the spice of life. :cry:

Being able to visit your fuel cache twice takes the guess work out of it on a long ride like that. Where is South Ghost-the ridge road not too far from the paintball on the forestry trunk road? If so I've made the trip a few times and It's a beauty. If you stash your fuel on the road to the bogs (I forget the road's name) it works out well.

I'd be very interested to see the routes you guys take thru the hills. :cry:

Hey Banffboy and Glen, Mike here, I decided to check out this website finally and found this thread. I rode my KTM with you two in waiprous this August and would be interested in this ride. Are you much further than 50k between fuel stops. After our last ride I was down to less than an 1/8 tank and am somewhat nervous about pushing that envelope. I now have the barkbusters installed though so that will help out with the tree trails. Do I need to bring my water wings this time??? :cry:

Water wings can come in handy :cry: Thanks again for the tow!! 50km will be close, you may need to pack a litre or 2 of premix. I have some small metal fuel cells that i've used before. I won't need them with my large tank on. The riding is going to be challenging in areas, and no doubt wet and swampy. This ride took 2 of us riding pretty hard and fast over 8 hrs last year(and it was much drier).

This ride took 2 of us riding pretty hard and fast over 8 hrs last year(and it was much drier).

Does this mean I will fall off the bike more often???

Glenn.

Well, only Mike and I went, but we had a great ride. We sorta mirrored our trip with BanffBoy from a couple of weekends ago. Except at almost the end, where we took the left along that ridge after we met a bunch of other riders, we continued straight instead of going left.

It was a fun trail till we hit some really bad trails. There were torn up from a harescramble we think. Dirt bike tire sized mud holes separated by tree roots almost exactly matching the bike's wheelbase. So lots of pushing!

We got a lil lost after that. We came out in the native reserve then rode some trails, gravel roads and finally pavement on Richard road back to the trucks. Mike's 250SX ran outta gas and I donated 2.5 litres from my tank for us to make it. The last 1/2 litre put my bike on reserve, but we were on the Trans Alta road by that time. So it was all good!

Till next time! Did you guys go riding after Banffboy? I thought that was your truck we staged up nest to.

Glenn.

Hey "NoT Thumping" I have been wanting to get out riding in that area. So if you get another ride scheduled I will see if I can make it also. :cry:

I just brought a No-Toil air filter. What is the problem with these???

Glenn.

just got issues with them, and their customer support is crap.

So the filter works ok and it is not gonna grenade my motor is it?!?!?

Glenn.

HMMMMMmmmmmmm I dont like the quality, but it was the lack of response to a bunch of emails I sent thats pissed me off. There was a few different designs for the honda I found out, even though twin air said it was the same. So if I can just keep 1 person from wasting their money I have done my job. :cry:

Hey, is the area you went riding in all designated trails only, not single track stuff right :cry:, all fatass quad trails, or is there some good stuff???.... I have never been there just currious if it is tight bush ridding.

OK. I have the No-Toil on there now. It will have to stay for now.

As for the trails. There are lots and lots of single track stuff. "Squeezing the bars between" kind of stuff. Lots of variety in terrain from woodsy, rooted stuff to gravel to loose rocks to muddy stuff. There are lots of quad trails to if you like the more open stuff, or you can even resort to 4x4 truck roads! Why you'd want to do that though is silly, considering hte sheer volume of really good single track.

Glenn.

Once again a HUGE thanks to Glen and his 2.5 litres of pre-mix. The last .5 litre barely got me to the truck as I didn't have enough left to fire the bike up after I washed it Sunday morning. I am definitely on the hunt for a bigger tank now. The ride was one that will not easily be forgotten though. :cry: