Sign in to follow this  

cam chain tensioners

It should be the latest generation of automatic CCT on the 03. I have one on my 04 and it looks like a manual one but bronco reckoned that's just to adjust the spring pressure. The 03/04 ones are supposed to be sorted - it's the earlier ones that were lousy and needed replacing with a manual CCT.

Cheers

Ian

There is an even newer version of the ACCT then that fitted to the 03 model.

I had one fitted a few weeks ago when I replaced my chain due to the ACCT over tensioning the chain.

I personally would get (and have got) a MCCT (manual cam chain tensioner) from Machinist who is a member of this forum.

You will not regret it. :cry:

Got an `03 S and i`m not sure what sort of tensioner mine has. It looks like the manual type, how and when do adjsut it??

No DRZ came from the factory with a manual CCT.

There is no adjustment to be done on an ACCT

No '03 and later ACCT's on the DRZ have failed that we have seen in here,, but that design has failed on other apps.

Some replace it with a MCCT,, I know I did.

Some do not check their valves until the OEM recommended 15K

Some do not change their oil until the OEM recommended 3K

Some do not use the highest quality oil they can find,, but instead use the cheapest oil that is recommended by the OEM.

And some so not change the ACCT. your bike, your choice :cry:

It should be the latest generation of automatic CCT on the 03. I have one on my 04 and it looks like a manual one but bronco reckoned that's just to adjust the spring pressure. The 03/04 ones are supposed to be sorted - it's the earlier ones that were lousy and needed replacing with a manual CCT.

Cheers

Ian

Bronco never said it was adjustable :cry: cuz it aint..... :cry:

the '03 and later is just a notched plunger with a ratcheting pawl to keep it in place. There is a long spring that applies pressure to the plunger. That spring is behind the hex head cap. There is no manual adjustment.. None.. You remove the cap, release and remove the spring, depress the pawl, push the plunger in. install the unit, install the spring and cap. The ACCT adjusts automatically..

There is an even newer version of the ACCT then that fitted to the 03 model.

I had one fitted a few weeks ago when I replaced my chain due to the ACCT over tensioning the chain.

I personally would get (and have got) a MCCT (manual cam chain tensioner) from Machinist who is a member of this forum.

You will not regret it. :cry:

:cry: :cry: Your saying there is a 5th ACCT design?? Not according to anything seen on a bike or any of the parts fiche :cry:

Same panrt number 2003, 2004, 2005

Part Number: 12830-29F10

Description: ADJUSTER,TENSIO

Price: $63.10

The 2003 design was the last change as far as seen here... Do you have a picture? part number? Describe the design?

If you've seen something new.. That would be interesting..

Bronco

Sorry mate, I misinterpreted what you said in your reply to my original post on the CCT. So the hex head bolt just holds the spring in place?

I wondered if you could take off the latest ACCT, rip out the spring, put in a longer bolt and locknut and turn it into an MCCT. :cry:

The one on my 04 looks like this (sorry about the tiny pic):

CCT.jpg

Cheers

Ian

Bronco

Sorry mate, I misinterpreted what you said in your reply to my original post on the CCT. So the hex head bolt just holds the spring in place?

I wondered if you could take off the latest ACCT, rip out the spring, put in a longer bolt and locknut and turn it into an MCCT. :cry:

The one on my 04 looks like this (sorry about the tiny pic):

CCT.jpg

Cheers

Ian

No worrys... I just wanted to be clear :cry:

Ya, that cap just hold the spring in.

Another lister had the same idea.. thread the ID of the ACCT body, and make a manual CCT out of it.. BUT,, you would have to make build the part that applies prssure to the guide.. and by the time you do all that work,, you'd be time and $$ ahead to buy one of the available aftermarket ones

So will an ACCT from an 03-05 work on a 01 with no modifications needed. I'd like to have an updated one, but I don't want the manual one...just afraid I would over tighten it and wear the chain or cam bearings etc.

Jerry

You are afraid of overtightening a manual one :cry: Guess what, the auto is guarenteed to overtighten it from what I have seen and heard. :cry:

You are afraid of overtightening a manual one :cry: Guess what, the auto is guarenteed to overtighten it from what I have seen and heard. :cry:

Thanks for the info on the 03-05's. Can someone clue me in on how the MCCT is adjusted...how do you know if it is tighten enough. If there is a specific procedure that works I may reconsider and just get a manual one then.

Jerry

My local dealer advised me otherwise about the 03 being the most current tensioner.

When I first took the bike in I asked for a MCCT but none where available in Australia. The local dealer then check with the head office and then advised me that over tensioning problems had occured and that there was a replacement ACCT for the 03 and 04 (and of course 00,01 and 02).

He is a pretty good bloke and asked did I want to wait for me to supply him the MCCT that I was getting from Machinist and he would install it free of charge while the changed the cam chain. I didn't want to wait as I had planned to go out that weekend so advised him to install the new ACCT.

I had a quote up from that changing the cam chain would take approx 3 hours from start to finish. Due to the ACCT issue he installed the new ACCT (which I paid for with the new chain) and the new cam chain and he only charged my for two hours work. As I was not the original owner I could not claim anything but the dealer offered without me asking to do it for less then he would usually charge due to the existing problem with the ACCT.

I was very pleased (when to this dealer as his servise department was reccommnded to me) with the service and have no reason to doubt that the ACCT is a newer model. Can anyone confirm this.

Either way I was up for repairs as the ACCT spring was not in a good condition.

in 03 the the drz got the 4th and latest version of the acct.i do not beleive the old versiosn are even available any more.

it looks completely different from the other 3 versions.

all acct put to much pressure on the chain.that wasnt the main issue with the earlier versions.they would break and release all the tension.results were usually catastrophic.