Sign in to follow this  

892 miles 4 weeks old--countershaft seal is leaking!

A week ago I noticed 2 tiny drops of oil located right below the crankcase oil drain plug. I figured no big deal the washer is crapped out after one use. I bought a washer saturday but before I put it on I cleaned the oil drain bolt area real good. Only rode the bike saturday it has sat still since. Tuesday I go to see how bad the washer is leaking, hmm it was dry so I start looking around & BAM I see oil all under the countershaft seal. I remove the cover & get a closer look, yep its the seal leaking already at less than 1,000 miles all street except for off-road gravel 2 times no mud. I called the stealership, no parts...figures! I have a big ride planned this weekend, camping the whole nine yards figures this would happen now.

I decided to remove the sprocket & take a closer look. sprocket was on tight but NO loctite to be seen from the factory :cry: I pulled the spacer out, a little oil poured from the cavity. I cleaned it all up inspected the seal with a big florescent light & it looks to be in great shape. The o-ring is a tight fit & in good shape also. I did notice there was alot of chain grundge from the original greasing of the chain that covered the visible part of the spacer. I even removed some from the seal lip area. I had been lubing the chain with Bel-Ray lube, done with that crap back to WD-40. WD-40 worked on my "E" for 1,000 woods miles & it never leaked at the seal. It went through alot more rough stuff than this bike has been through up to this point.

I put it all back together cranked it rode it 10 miles & so far no leak. Even layed it over in the yard for about 5 minuted to allow the oil that accumulates in the seal cavity to somehow put pressure on the seal trying to make it leak. So have I fixed it? should I park it take the V-Strom or just ride it? campground is 62 miles from my house all two-lane back roads. Parts might be here friday but I really don't have time to start a job like htis on friday evening then ride it 62 miles hoping I got it right. If it does not leak between now & friday I'm riding it, it's under warranty so if all the oil comes out so what is my attitude. Only downside is I will have to walk, cell phone coverage will be slim where I am going. Honsetly I can't see a new seal, spacer & o-ring being any better condition than what is in there now. I looked it over pretty good & I do know what I am looking at (did this kind of work before).

Still really a shame somehting like this happens to a new bike, brings back bad memories of a TL1000R I once owned, leaker!

Should be fine if it's not leaking now :cry: In any case, as long as the seal is not really damaged, or you do not have something back there currently causing it damage,, even if the seal is leaking just a bit,, it should be ok to ride,, seals just don’t "go out" all at once for no reason.

Was there any rust on the spacer where it meets the seal? I keep a quick fix parts kit for this issue on the spares shelf.. 2 seals, spacer, o-ring, locking washer and nut. Have not needed um yet,, but piece of mind knowing I will not looses out on a ride cuz I find a leak during preflight :cry:

Should be fine if it's not leaking now :cry: In any case, as long as the seal is not really damaged, or you do not have something back there currently causing it damage,, even if the seal is leaking just a bit,, it should be ok to ride,, seals just don’t "go out" all at once for no reason.

Was there any rust on the spacer where it meets the seal? I keep a quick fix parts kit for this issue on the spares shelf.. 2 seals, spacer, o-ring, locking washer and nut. Have not needed um yet,, but piece of mind knowing I will not looses out on a ride cuz I find a leak during preflight :cry:

No there was no rust. Spacer was very shiny & new. I could see the wear lines from the seal on it. They were consistant & smooth all the way around. I added a thin layer of Bel-Ray waterproof grease on it & the o-ring to ease in assembly & to ward off any rust or corrosion.

Bike has only been hosed off twice. Like I stated earlier I have not been in any mud or water just dusty gravel roads. I used a dremel to slot out the OEM sprocket cover a while back so I could keep tabs on crud build up & apply water to hose out the area. I think it was due to the grease from the chain & me adding on the Bel-ray chain lube. This lube sucks, I accidently bought it instead of Bel-ray super clean a month or so ago. Originally bought it for my V-Strom but it was way more messier than the super clean Bel-ray so I decided just touse it on the DRZ.

I think I will ride it some more locally this evening & see if it leaks anymore. I just don't want a terminal leak where all 1.9 qts empty out in 5 miles time 60 miles from home. I personally have never seen a countershaft seal go quickly but you never know.