Sign in to follow this  

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to say "hello" to everyone. I've been a "looker" for awhile reading a lot on this site. As you can see this is my first post. For a little back ground I started to ride at the age of 10 and didn't stop until I was 22. Well that was awhile ago (11 years) Now I'm wanting to get back into the sport. I have a Son who is ten and I want to get him involved too. I'm looking at buying a WR450, and KLH110, and something for my Wife???? We both (The Wife and I) ride street bikes. It looks like a lot has changed over the years!!!! Four strokes have come a loooooong waaaaays!!! Last bike I owned was a 1997 KX250....... Anyway, I just wanted to say "Hello" :cry:

Thanks for all the "Hello's" :cry: I'm wanting to go with a WR450 because of the headlight and all the reading that I have done on them. I'm not going to get into "Honda is better than Yamaha" stuff. I think they are all great one way or another. I ride snowmobiles so I get "Polaris is better than Ski-Doo" stuff all the time. :cry: It's like beating a dead horse. As for the 250F, I think that might be a little big for her first dirt bike. What about these 230F's I've been reading about? :cry:

Nooooo...If she is over 5'6" she can ride a WR250F,nice trail bike with lights and all..If that is too much look at the TTR250 for her..Dont get a smaller bike than hat though..waste of money

That is the bike I'm looking at TTR230 Not only seat heigth but the cost factor too. Buying three new bikes is going to hurt. :cry:

That is the bike I'm looking at TTR230 Not only seat heigth but the cost factor too. Buying three new bikes is going to hurt. :cry:

230 is a heavy piece of crap, get the 250....or, as someone else said, a WR250. Leave it corked/throttle-stopped until she's comfortable, then do the "free mods" and it's a whole new bike.... :cry:

Oh, and welcome aboard :cry:

If she's already riding street, she sounds fairly coordinated, you could probably go for a 250 just fine.

Just keep in mind seat height. I'm 5'6 & ~29" inseam, I've been able to adjust the sag and raise the forks enough to be comfortable on my WR250f. However, you can't get kouba (lowering) links for Yamahas...

Best bet is to buy a used bike that's small for her. They keep their value and you can always upgrade...

Thanks for all the "Hello's" :cry: I'm wanting to go with a WR450 because of the headlight and all the reading that I have done on them. I'm not going to get into "Honda is better than Yamaha" stuff. I think they are all great one way or another. I ride snowmobiles so I get "Polaris is better than Ski-Doo" stuff all the time. :cry: It's like beating a dead horse. As for the 250F, I think that might be a little big for her first dirt bike. What about these 230F's I've been reading about? :cry:

If she's already riding street she can handle a 250f... I'm a little tall (5'10") but I also rode street first, and the YZ250F was my first bike! Although I did train for a while on a spare 125 2-smoker my bf's friend had, but the 4-stroke power delivery was acutally easier for me than the 2 smoker.

You don't want to get something she'll outgrow really quickly, they don't hold value THAT well!

How tall is she, and how long has she been riding street?

Thanks for the replies people! My wife is 5'7" 130 lbs. (Incase she reads this I better say 120lbs :cry:) She has beed riding street for two years. Last year she had a Honda Shadow 600 VLX that she put on a little over 4000 miles on. This year she is on a Harley and she has put about 4000 miles on it too. She is scared to death of gravel, but her only time on gravel has been on her Harley (I won't tell the story :cry:) She wants something she can ride, get use to dirt, then up grade. We are also snowmobilers (Mountains) so she does have skills. Thanks again for getting back to me, this place seems great!!! :cry: