Sign in to follow this  

shim help

left intake-loose .004 right-loose.005 -i have searched the valve post(about 150 post till i couldn'tread another)and need to know if when i shim these back into spec should i get new springs.trying to get this fixed as the weather is perfect and if i have to go with stainless i would rather do that in the winter.

If I'm reading/understanding correctly, your intakes are at .004 and .005 and the weather is perfect? Go ride man! then shim them when your done! One ride won't matter! Riding is what matters so if you have good conditions let it rip. Those clearances are going to be fine. Shim when it rains!!! :cry:

if its .004 and .005 loose your clearances are .010 and .011 and your valves would be noisy...shim it.

If the feeler gage you stuck in was .004 and .005 then you are good for now, but my bike went from .004 to 0 in 3 hours.

if its .004 and .005 loose your clearances are .010 and .011 and your valves would be noisy...shim it.

:cry: :cry: I take it that's a typo.....

exhaust valves are left-.010 & right .011,which are in spec.I just need advice on is it worth changing out intake springs when i shim them back into specs.They are just barely out of specs and i would not think i would have any seat or valve damage yet-right :excuseme:come on and help a brother out :cry:

How many hours on it? You do realize you have to pull the head to replace the springs. I replace my springs at 200+ hours when I rebuilt the top end.

If you don't have a ton of hours on it just shim.

are you sure you have to pull the head to replace the springs? I think with a clamp type spring compressor you could compress the spring and pull the keepers off and then replace the spring. If the piston is at TDC the valves cant fall into the cylinder...that is if they even move at all...and if htey do fall into the cylinder...you had to take the head off apparently anyways!

But this was just a thought I havent tried it.

no i didn't know that the head had to come off :cry:.Let me get this right-to shim i need to remove the camshaft assembly and secure the chain so it doesn't fall in then do all the measuring and shimming. If i change the springs the head has to be removed. :thinking:I have around 150 hrs on it

With 150 hrs I would pull the head and check it out anyway.

Personally, if it was me I would put a new piston and rings in, new intake valve springs and valve seals and maybe have the seats reground depending on how the valves are seating.

Or shim it and wait another 50 hrs to do the rebuild.