Sign in to follow this  

bike shuts off when turned to right

i just got a 2002 yz250f, this is a great ride not quite the power of my ktm exc250, but there seems to be alot of mods to do, the current issue is that when the bike is turned to the full right lock the bike shuts off, it has tought me alot about hot starts, i will be getting a 03 exh. cam, i bought this bike used from original owner and they had same problem, they offered no help. i am totally new to 4 strokes, bike is stock except for fmf titanium headpipe and siliecer. any help is welcome. how soft can i make this stock suspention for woods riding?

One of the cables from the handle bars is being bound up and pulled when you turn it to the right. Typically it is the hot start, but I'm not sure the hot start is mounted on the handlebars on the 02.

The manual has a some information on tuning the suspension. Make sure the original owner gives it to you, as it is full of service and maintenance information.

Yup, that's probably it. I always forget that my 03 has auto-decompression. If he gets the 03 cam, he can disable and remove the decompression lever, and insert an aftermarket plug in the head where the cable actuates the compression release.

Also Consider the wiring. My bike quit cause the wiring was carppy. Someone was also messing with it before I got the bike, but you should keep it in mind.

Also check your kill switch make sure its not grounding out some where Rick

Scotty because its when you turn right its almost certainly something on the left side of the bars causing it. Decompression is most likely. But also worth checking is the electrical cables on both sides of bars where the tie downs are used. Lots of second hand bikes have worn and damaged electrics from tie downs.

PS: Even with all the mods your yz250f is never going to have near the power of a two smoke 250. Its ridability and ability to utilise the power and get drive to the ground is its strong point.

I love how the guy you bought it off said " oh yea it did that to me too" :cry:. What an idiot ! If he had the problem he shouild have fixed it or told you about it. I hope for your sake that this bike has been maintained properly. I would have to agree that this problem is most likley electrical. A bare wire touches the frame when bars are turned and it acts like pushing the kill switch. Good luck ,it shouldn't be that hard to find. :cry:

Decompression cable did it to me, especially when I mounted handguards. It was a quick fix, and never occurred once corrected......good luck