Flat turns with no ruts or birms

I just started racing motocross this year. I have an 04 YZ450F with stock suspension still. I am planning on getting my suspension revalved and set up for my weight this winter. I have a really hard time with turns that are flat. My rear tire just feels like it wants to come out from under me when I get on the gas hard in the turn. I notice a lot of people have no trouble with this they can come in and out of the turn really hard and there rear tire just seems to stick to the ground. Does changing something in your rear suspension help with these type of turns? I have no trouble with turns that have a birm or a rut to get into.

This is more technique than something technical. Just try to start the corner from the outside and creep inside at the middle of turn and then drift back outside coming out of the turn. I hope you get what I'm saying. Basically like Nascar or Supermoto. Also keep your outside foot weighted the whole time and be easy on the throttle.

Like gonzo said, it's more of a technique thing then a suspension problem. Perhaps you're running the wrong type of tire but I doubt it. I can do flat turns pretty good on my 125 & 80, you just need to know where to put your weight. When I go to slide through a turn, I put all my weight on the outside (opposite foot peg) and push back with my foot which causes the bike to "slide". Keep in mind, my 125 has stock suspension and I weigh only 120 and it's set up for someone a good 15-20 lbs heavier then I am. Good luck..

Hey Sean,

There are many variables for your problem, tire type,soil conditions,rear wheel misaligned,riding style.... I would start with running 12 psi front and rear. I have been working on front spring rates for my 225lbs carcass and got the bike tracking pretty well.

Where have you been riding? We may by going to Grumpy Valley on saturday. Let me know and we can compare rides.

I have been doing most of the American Motosports Ohio County fair series. I was thinking about going somewhere this Saturday. I thought about Honda Hills, but Grumpy would work too.

So, If I am making a right hand turn, I need to shift my weight to the left foot peg and push back on the left foot peg? Just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Honda Hills works out better. My 14 year old is making the

move from his kx85 to the 250f. That is one track that you

have to look hard to find a berm! We will be there around

11:30 am in a red Dakota.

On a right hand turn you should be forward in the seat with

your crack lined up with the left edge on your bike seat,

right leg out forward against the shroud, and the ball of

your left foot on the peg putting as much body weight on it

with out lifting your butt from the seat. See you there.Rich