A very sad day for me

Well today was the day that my dog Flash of 15 years, who was my best friend, passed away ?. When I woke up this morning she was laying in the family room and didn't look right. Her eyes were rolled back in her head and she was not responding to anything. It really broke my heart to see her so helpless and not able to move. I carefully had to pick her up and lay her in my car so I could take her in to the vet. Right when I got there she started gasping for air so the doctor quickly brought her into the back and said she was beginning the last stages of dying where all the functions cease and finally the heart stops beating. I had to make the decision to try to recussitate her with oxygen but I din't want her to suffer any longer so I let her pass with me right at her side. I am still very emotional right now and this post is bringing tears back to my eyes. All of this has happened so suddenly I am still in shock. She was running around a few days ago and then this happens ?. I just thought I would share my loss with you guys who have always been there for me through laughs (and arguments ?) and I feel you guys are like my brothers. I will miss Flash very much and nothing could ever replace her or the times we spent together. RIP Flash.........I love you

IMG_0350.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that Chrome. ?

Some people don't realize that a dog is part of your family. My dog will be 15 next month and I know the day is coming real soon that she will be gone. She has a hard time getting around and I hope she dies on her own so I won't have to put her down, but it's not looking good.

It will be a very sad day.

GODSPEED Flash. ?

Man, Im really sorry for ya...its hard when they go...for me loosing my dog was like loosing a family memeber.

My Great Pyrenesse (Michael) died almost 25 years ago and it still hurts when I think about it.....He was 17...in his prime he was 185#....when he passed he was only about 90-100...his hips were gone and I had to carry him around, but he was still a happy guy....he was tougher than me...thats for sure...

Sorry to hear about your loss Chrome .

Dogs ARE very much a part of the family and love you with all there heart .I've got a 9 yr old Boxer that I take care of better than myself and dread the day he passes . And it's deffinately OK to cry like a baby over your furry friend .

James

I'm sorry about your dog.

I have a 13 year old pomeranian. I know he won't have long to live so I'm thinking of storing his genes go that one day when the technology is there, I will have a choice of having a duplicate of him.

My wife doesn't like it but I am thinking about it though.

I had to go give my dog a hug after reading all these. I also lost other dogs. It's like buying a heart ache. I wish they would out last us like kids do. Anyway, sorry to hear that. I feal for you. ?

Every night for 12 years I'm welcomed home by my golden retreiver...tail still wags like hell...then he'll bring me one of his toys as a gift. Anyone who is a dog person knows what you are going through and its heart wrenching. We try to be these tough guys for the most part but I know when the time comes for my buddy it will feel like a part of me is missing......know one thing Chrome....eventually the tears will turn to a smile when you remember him..

god bless buddy

morgan.jpg

Chrome, sorry to hear about your pal. Almost a year ago we lost our 8 year old lab to K-9 leukemia. It was pretty tough on her---long and drawn out. I'm glad she's not in any pain now. She kept me company many times while on camping trips up north to go riding. Always glad to see me when I came back from the trail. Now it's tough to go to those same places without her.

Recently we adopted a year old Border Collie/Lab mix with tons of personality. She was within days of being destroyed. She only has one eye and no one wanted her. All this prompted me to volunteer at the local shelter. I go and take pictures of the new arrivals and post them at petfinder.com with a short description of the animal.

None of us ever gets over losing a pet that is so much a part of the family----but it gets better.

Again----sorry. RR

I am very sorry for your loss. They truly are family members. Every person that has a dog knows that the day will come when thier friend will pass but it does not matter it hurts sooo much when it happens. I will be thinking of you all day.

The summer of 03, I to had to the hardest thing in my life. Was to put down my best friend of 15 years. Max a beautiful German Shepard. I sat in my car afterwards for up to an hour crying like a baby. Still hard thinking about it.

Then 6 month later our other Shepard had to be put down. Still didn’t get any easier.

But this weekend after a year off from having a dog around, we pick up our new puppy Maddox, also a Shepard. I’m so excited that I can hardly sleep.

It will be your time soon to get a new best friend, mean while Flash is up there in that big dog house in the sky chasing kitties along with all our other Max’s and Flashes,,,

?

Sorry to hear about that. I love dogs, in fact I have 10 dogs, not counting my wife's 2 Jack Russells. Most of them are hunting dogs, but I care for them just as much. If it makes you feel any better, I ran over my dog once and killed her in my garage. I guess her leash got tangled under my truck as I zoomed off one afternoon. Talk about feeling like [@#$%&*!]!

Seems like just yesterday, my Labrador Retriever and best friend had to be put down. I don't know why we humans do this to ourselves over and over. That Retriever was the most loyal creature I've ever known. When he died, a good friend of mine passed on this poem to me, and I promised I'd forward it in times of dog mourning.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...