Blew up my 2000 yz426 motor, need advice

I was rippin up and down some mountain roads in Oregon and had a con rod big end failure. I took it to a shop, but they want $800 to fix the beast. I am not sure a 2000 426 is worth much more than that! I am hoping someone has a motor or parts to help me out.

The shop quote is $250 for parts and $500 for labor. seems a bit out there?

I was rippin up and down some mountain roads in Oregon and had a con rod big end failure. I took it to a shop, but they want $800 to fix the beast. I am not sure a 2000 426 is worth much more than that! I am hoping someone has a motor or parts to help me out.

The shop quote is $250 for parts and $500 for labor. seems a bit out there?

Your right a blown up 2000 yzf isnt worth much but to part out. However, it is a worth fixing. $250 bucks and do it yourself. Great experiance to learn how it all fits together. Get a manual or two (Always good to have two points of referance) And have at it

A little steep, but about right for a dealership.

I'd do it for $250 plus parts, which would probably be no more than $200.

If you don't want to do it yourself, ask around at the racetrack. Shouldn't be too tough to find somebody with good feedback in your area.

I feel your pain, I took my bike 2002 yz426 up to MT for some riding and it blew on me in the middle of the mtns. took forever to get out, brought it back to TX and my entire bottom end is ruined.. I got a quote for 1200$ which pretty much ruined my day, but since i am not a very good at working on bikes i don't see that i have any other choice.. Is a blown up motor even worth anything? the guys says the valves and top end are in good shape.. just surprised the bottom end would run that much money. He told me the crank shaft was over 400 alone..

I just got my 2000 426 redone for $1250.00. This included parts and labor for a crank rebuild(rod kit), cylinder bore and replate,and a valve job. I enjoy working on engines but I figured if I did it myself it would be 3 months till I rode it again. I just cant find the time to do anything anymore, just to much to do!

thanks guys, I am going to go talk to the mechanic today. I unfortunately have had a pretty serious moto crash riding my street bike down the same mountain and broke my collar bone and wiped my knee out pretty bad. I hit a deer going about 50 mph. They airlifted me out and I spent about 6 days in the hospital in Bend, OR. Now my streetbike is toast and my dirtbike has a blown motor. I got some pretty nasty road rash scabs all over. It was a gravel road.

-scooter

ex-ama superbiker/250GP pilot(1990-1999)