Sign in to follow this  

CRFX or CRFR

Okay, I know this question has been asked a zillion times, but I am asking specifically those of you who ride in the SoCal Deserts- i.e. Ocotillo Wells. Although I occasionally ride Lake Morena, my focus will be screwing around Ocotillo and the occasional high-desert scramble.

I will be keeping my plated XR400 for the occasional D/S events like LAB2V and for connecting trails around the house.

What I want is a new desert weapon- and don't try to sell me on the CR450- my heart is set on the CRF/X 250.

So which one for the dez? :cry:

The CRF250R will run out of speed quickly unless you do some serious gearing changes and then the low end will be non-existent. IMO you will be disappointed with either bike for desert conditions as there are long-straights where I live that the 250R falls off the curve.

Hard to imagine not wanting a 450 for the desert? Sand robs power, so you need lots of it. You could wait for the 450X to come out?

I bought the X. I'll probably regret not getting the 450 but, what the hell. Now I'm just waiting for the valves to go. :cry: Thanks for your suggestions!

Keep good care of your 250X just like the manual says, you really shouldn't have to worry about those valves early on. I read somewhere that honda says that the valves failing are a result of air getting past the filter, so just watch it and make sure everything sealed right. 625 miles, no sign of valve problems for me!

I read somewhere that honda says that the valves failing are a result of air getting past the filter, so just watch it and make sure everything sealed right.

I would hope there's air getting past the filter. :cry:

I know you meant dirt. :cry:

well i dont know if you want to take it from me because im only 14. but i have the x and its fun and all but it can top out quick on sand and it just doesnt have the power to really "mess around" on the sand.