Sign in to follow this  

CRF50 or KTM 50?

5 year old son's outgrowing the PW50. He doesn't race, but might give it a shot later this year purely for fun. Would like to put him on a bike with good power and suspension.

I'm considering a CRF50...obviously, the bulletproof reliability is a plus. The endless aftermarket scene is nice, too.

How does it compare to bikes like the KTM 50 Pro Jr? I've heard the little 2-strokes have reliability issues.

Thoughts?

I bought an 03 xr50 for my son when he was 3 and he did good on it. The only thing for him was shifting it so i pick up a ktm50 and he rips on that one. Just change the trany oil often and check the compresion often. The bike has been great. I also picked up an 01 with 14hp liquid cooled and that thing flys. Not to many xr's have 14 hp. Just my 2 cents. :cry:

I had the same issue. 6 year old son outgrowing the XR50.

I decided to upgrade the suspension on the XR. Waiting on the kit. Going to raise the bike around 4" and give him the plush ride of those other mini's with the grunt of the 4-stroke. Plus less maintenance. The kit will give him the better position on the seat with the new bars and the entire ride will be substantially different. 12" front wheel, longer swingarm, should be what my little guy needs?

I would not worry to much about the shifting part, your son will pick it up, he will have to eventaully.

Once my son feels comfortable on his new ride and feels the need for more power I will then upgrade to an 75 or 88 big bore kit.

KTM 50's are sick for racing,but don't have much torque. They are crazy fast for a little 50 out of the box, though.

A friend of mine just bought a 97 KTM 50 Pro Sr. and I have an 03 XR 50. His is much faster than mine stock obviously. I am working on the XR this winter to make it is fast as his but hopefully faster than his. 88cc kit with a stroker crank to a 106cc.

A friend of mine just bought a 97 KTM 50 Pro Sr. and I have an 03 XR 50. His is much faster than mine stock obviously. I am working on the XR this winter to make it is fast as his but hopefully faster than his. 88cc kit with a stroker crank to a 106cc.

Your motor is going to be WAY faster. A 88 Race Head will smash a KTM50. If you want a really fast combo, go here www.hondatrailbikes.com and get there race head motor then get a Kitaco 51mm crank with the correct piston. Itll make your bike a 108 and it will scream and probably cost less than the 106 you are planning from Takegawa.