Sign in to follow this  

Gordons mods question

Does just taking the snorkle out increase performance? If so, i would imaigne you have to rejet, what jet would i need? I want to take the baffle out, but i rather keep the low noise profile for right now. And if i take the snorkle out would i be able to put it back in if needed? what does it do anyways?

Taking the snorkle out just lets the bike breathe easier. Usually the first and easiest mod to make when getting an XR. You can put it back in (there is a lip it sits in) if needed. You won't need to rejet with just this mod, but the bike should feel a little more responsive. There is no negative to this one at all. Just pull and throw away. Then eventually get a decent air filter (uni 2 stage IMO). Have fun, don't be scared to work on this thing. By a Clymer manual on e-bay for $20. It walks you through all services and problems. If you later decide to rejet, do a search in this forum, there are a lot of easy tips on removal without pulling the carb. :cry:

You can always drop the clip 1 position if you want. You need to pull that thing off and start tinkerin'. Have fun, bro. Don't be so afraid to touch that thing. Pull it off, run it, see if it starts ok, runs ok with throttle in different positions, change clip position if needed and get some!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

If your talking about the XR250 then you probably won't have to rejet if you only pull the snorkle/mud cover.

If your talking about the XR400 then you probably will have to rejet after removing the snorkle/mud cover.

I wouldn't recommend doing the "Gordon's Mods" one at a time.

Do it right, do them all at once.

i dont want increased noise so i am not going to remove the baffle. I will just do the snorkle mod for now. Ive never heard of it being bad doing them seperately either.

I took the snorkle out and wow, it runs like crap. It bogs down pretty bad. Which way should i go with the clip position and how many? This carb looks diff than on my other bike, my other bike has a twist off top, do i have to unscrew the top of this one to get to the jet?

You can replace the stock end cap/baffle with "96" end cap/baffle (Exhaust Baffle HRC Competition S/A). This is the same as the stock one less the restrictive insert, then you can add another piece (Baja Exhaust Baffle) which will lower the sound level to an acceptable level. Together it will cost you $150, but it will still be cheaper than a new exhaust.

These can be found on the following site:

Baja Designs

Here's a couple pictures so you know what your looking for:

550004big.jpg

549999big.jpg

It's not bad to do the mods one at a time, it's just unproductive and results are less noticable when done seperately.

You don't need to mess with the needle clip position, leave it in the stock middle or third position. If you were to move it you would want to move the clip down or towards the point, this will richen the mixture. Your adjustments can be made thru jetting, and I would recommend balancing your air/fuel mixture with jetting. The main jet can be found by removing the float bowl on the bottom of the carb, the pilot by removing the float bowl.

I'm still wondering what bike we're talking about.

You really have to include what XR you have for us to answer your jetting questions.

Elevation and temperature are two other considerations.

If you have an XR400, you can pull the intake snorkle and put in a UniFilter, 55 pilot jet and 155 main jet. This is very easy to do and is about 1/2 Gordon's mods. You will need to re-jet again if you complete Gordon's mods or use a Baja Designs Vortip.

If you have a CA XR400, you should consider changing the needle to an A16A.

wow sorry, i could have sworn i said what bike, sry :cry: it is a 2004 xr250. i have to do something because it runs crappy, so just put a new jet in? What size and how much are they? BTW, i live in connecticut, and its between 60-80 right now.

The XR250 is easy.

After "Gordon's Mods" leave the pilot jet alone and bump the main jet up one size from the stock 132 to a 135. Until all the mods are done the performance could be less than optimal.

They cost around $5 or less. My dealer just gives them to me free, they want to keep me as a customer. :cry:

ok thanks a lot, now onto chaning the main jet? How do i go about doing that, i took a look inside the carb and it is way more confusing than my cr's. My cr you just unscrewed the top and pulled out the piece the jet was attached to and then unscrewed the holder on top of that and wala the jet was out.

Still the XR is soooo easy.

First go buy the new main jet so you know what they look like.

Turn the gas off.

Unscrew the drain bolt on the bottom of the carb float bowl, this will reveal the main jet, unscew the main jet and screw in the new one.

Done.

I just did the mods to my '04 XR250 about 4 weeks ago. It really improved throttle response and gave the motor a little more "pop". I replaced the 132 main with a 135 and made a slight adjustment to the carb. The hardest part was removing the exhaust baffle. It took about 40 minutes of prying, pulling and rocking to get it out, mainly because I didn't want to damage the chrome end piece. Just follow the directions given in these forums and you'll be fine and quite pleased with the results.

Actually it will come out easily.

If you wanted to remove it from the stock unit and wasn't concerned about the noise, This is what to do:

Leave the end cap on the bike, remove the screw (I think it's a Torx) that is in the end cap. Smack the little black insert with a hammer a couple times, then grab ahold of it with a pair of channel locks and wiggle it and it will come right out.

The last one I removed was for a friend and it took about 3 minutes, maybe I got lucky but that's how I did it.

Team_Burk knows the XR250. The quick and easy fix it to put on a UniFilter and the main jet he recommends. You can fine tune the pilot jet using the fuel screw. Look in my FAQ for tips on adjusting the pilot jet. The jet size is different, but the tuning tip applies.

If you expect your XR250 to go from 600 rpm to 7000 at the twist of the throttle, forget it. That is why all new MX 4-strokes have pumper carbs. You can tune the carb and turn up the idle a bit, learn to anticipate.

Have fun!