Sign in to follow this  

250f or 125

Im looking to buy a 250f or a 125. I will ride trails but i will also go to the track. Im looking for sumthing that doesn't have a whole lot of maintanence, and that is fast. Budget is also an issue. Everytime I look for a bike (used) the 250f's are always higher priced? :cry: why? Any advise on which bike is best for me is appreciated.

Jody

Both are awesome Bikes I owned a 01 YZ125 and loved it to death, and recently got a 02 YZ250F and love it to death even more. Its really what you prefer to ride. The thumper has more regular oil changes, etc than the 125. But Then again you arne't having to replace the top end on the 2-stroke every x-amount of hours. My other concern would be the New law thats coming into affect 2006 for the 2smokes might interfere with your trail riding possibly. Sorta depends on the state and how much they want to crack down.

I have the '05 YZ125 and I love it so far. I haven't had it on a track yet (tomorrow night I will) but it is just the most fun I have had in a while. However, I ride in the desert as well as the track and I suspect my 02 250F will still reign for me there. I must admit, it's mighty nice to not have to think about valves or changing oil constantly. I kind of laughed when I finished breaking it in and thought, "i should probably check the valve clearances". It also doesn't draw as much air so filters stay clean longer. Yes, the top end will need to be replaced once in a while, but the motor is so small in the frame that it could be done with little effort. I love the four stroke too, it depends a lot on what you are going to do with it and whether you prefer light weight(125) or more torque (250F, more overall power as well). Too bad I can't get both in the same bike (yet)

I have an 03 YZ125 and I like it allot. I havn't had troble with it. I just put a new piston/rings in it for standard 2-stroke matnince. I would say get the 250f it is more versitle. You can ride it on a track with less effort then on a 125 and it is better for desert/trails. 250f also has more power. I am going to sell my bike when the 06 models come out and get a YZ250 or KXF/RMZ 250.