Sign in to follow this  

Cool/Cold weather riding gear

I usually just wear one or two long sleeve/warm shirts under my jersey. Of course, this is SE Texas. Our winters are very mild. :cry:

Yeah, that's NOT fair!! Two shirts definitely wouldn't cut it here. I'd turn into a giant popsicle!

I like my MSR Enduro jackets - lightweight but water & wind resistant. It will fit over my chest protector & all my protecto gear.

Karl gave me a new one last Christmas that is a pak jak style and I love it but it's too pretty to wear in the mud so I use my old one for riding and keep my new one for normal wear. Mines the red one:MSR Jacket click here

As far as gloves, we like the neoprene Fox gloves for normal cool weather riding, great for snowmobiling too unless you dig the sled out without letting the gloves cool off a bit from the handwarmers. Nothing worse than trying to maneuver a snowmobile down a tight trail with ice coated gloves! I don't think they make the neoprene ones anymore but you can get neoprene gloves at most hunting/fishing stores. Haven't tried the new Thermalpaws but doesn't look like they are all neoprene.

If it is still too cold, we put some ATV Style gauntlets on over the barkbusters backwards.

Next step on the cold scale is using the MSR Cold Pro's which are great but a bit bulky. Cold Pro's click here

Then I add some disposable hand warmers if I need more warmth.

We went riding in NE Washington last Halloween using the Cold Pro's, gauntlets & hand warmers and it wasn't bad at all but the hose on one guy's Camelback froze!

I put my jacket on over my Camelback & cp and it didn't freeze.

Heavy socks are a must and sometimes I like to use a baclava type headsock to keep my face warmer.

So yes, we use dirtbike specific riding gear but I usually end up using the jacket & gloves for snowmobiling, watching cold fall soccer games and when I have to go on a winter jobsite visit.

I wear a set of leggings, or the the topless sleeves that came with my knee braces, and a T-shirt or undershirt under my jersey. I don't like coats unless it's super cold because they're restrictive and usually once I'm riding and moving around, I stay pretty warm. I have a Shift riding coat that I really like but it ends up being my camp coat or casual jacket more than anything. I also use glove liners, and to date, they have been plenty warm enough.

Also, I just bought a pair of Thor Static pants (OTB style) which will be easier to layer under, and plan on getting the new Thor Windchill jersey--it has a thin layer of fleece built into the inside of it. It looks REALLY nice.

We do get cold temps here, and since the south central part of my state doesn't get snow, we ride dunes all winter long. It's still cold though--sometimes in the 30s or 40s. I've even raced one hare scramble where it was about 20 degrees. Wow. hard to breathe. Get grip heaters!

What's your definition of cold? :cry:

I KNOW it's not the same as yours. I live in one of the "cold" parts of the Lower 48 (kind of). We had a cold snap last January--got down to 25 below for about 4 days--and people didn't know WHAT to do. I didn't mind, but 6 months of it might be different.

I think it's kind of cool up where you are. I applied for some jobs in Alaska last year, and would have taken them in a heartbeat, but I wasn't chosen. :cry: I'd still like to move waaayyyy north someday, or at least visit some more. I've only been up there in the summer.

He, he, well, its certainly not as cold as where you are! Cold for me is below freezing. :cry:

Sorry. My version of cold doesn't count either. The most I have to bundle up is a long sleeve shirt under my jersey. Pants and boots do the bottom half just fine. That would be the good part of my desert.

Now...I'd trade ya'll summers ANYTIME. 115+ around here. Gotta ride at 0630 if ya wanna ride (and get home before 1000 or 1100).

Sorry. My version of cold doesn't count either. The most I have to bundle up is a long sleeve shirt under my jersey. Pants and boots do the bottom half just fine. That would be the good part of my desert.

Now...I'd trade ya'll summers ANYTIME. 115+ around here. Gotta ride at 0630 if ya wanna ride (and get home before 1000 or 1100).

I'll take the cold any day.

I'm going to flip the question and ask what you do for hot weather riding?

Cold is easy. As the temperature drops, you can always add more layers, but as the temperature rises- you can only peel off layers until you're naked. Then what? :cry:

Thelatestfashions.jpg

Ride naked? :cry:

Really...the pants and boots stay, lose the jersey for a T-shirt (gotta still wear those elbow and knee pads, tho). We REALLY do leave at 6:30 in the morning or so to be home by 10 or 11 in the hottest part of the summer. LOTS and LOTS of water. Everyone in the party carries a camelback...most of 'em the 100 ounce size. And believe it or not, you really don't feel the heat...until you stop. But then, man watch out. IT's HOT!!! But, the only other option is to not ride...and for me, that's not an option. :cry:

Up here during the summer it doesn't get much hotter than 50F, there are pure fresh streams everywhere so you don't have to carry water, and the sun is up 24/7 so you can ride whenever you want. Stopping is not a problem :cry:

For winter riding you dress for the temp, take an axe to poke holes in frozen streams, and though it's dark, the snow is pure white and very reflective so even a crappy headlight does a good job. The only difference is if you stop, you freeze. :cry:

For everyone down there who stops and overheats, there is someone up here who stops and freezes - it's all about balance - the universe is in Harmony - Even Steven. :cry:

:cry: I wanna play THERE! Sounds heavenly! :cry:

Although we had a GREAT day for riding in our little desert this past Sunday. I was a cool, crisp almost autumny day and it was an AWESOME ride (coulda been partly cuz I was riding the friend's WR450 and playing on it!) Nope...I'm pretty sure it was mostly the weather :cry:

Well you're a bit late for the early bird prize but you do have some of the qualifications and it's never too late to apply. :cry:

I thought the position had been filled?

As for summer weather, I just bought a pair of OTB pants that zip off at the knee, and I'm going to get the short-sleeved vented jersey to match. Here in WA we have BOTH seasons.

I got the impression that the position was filled, too :cry:

And we have two season in the desert...hot and not hot. :cry:

I thought the position had been filled?

I got the impression that the position was filled, too :cry:

You're both right, but after 2500 views it would've been nice to see at least 1 positive reply, even if it's only to humour the make believe destiny of the thread. I don't mind not being first, but I hate being last. :cry:

You mean cold like this?

GrandVeiw.jpg

:cry:

We have to wear our ski parkas and gloves to ride during the winter here. I find my ski parka works well since it's big enough to fit over my chest protector and Camel Back.

Yeah, it's a bit nippy but at least there isn't any dust! :cry: You can always warm your hands near the engine or in the exhaust. :cry:

Yep, just like that! :cry: Brrrr, I'm just thinking of the cold wind whipping through my jacket! :cry: I'm not looking forward to winter!

Yep, just like that! :cry: Brrrr, I'm just thinking of the cold wind whipping through my jacket! :cry: I'm not looking forward to winter!

I've found a Gortex jacket actually works the best. It's mostly the wind that gets me cold. You don't want to wear a super insulated jacket because you will warm up quite a bit just riding. I have a thin Gortex jacket that has vents I can unzip when I get too warm. If you are a bit cold when you leave the truck, then you've got just the right amount of clothing on. I also take a warm hat in my pack to put on during breaks. If my noggin is warm, the rest of me will be fine.

Winter riding is fun! I'd actually rather be too cold than too hot. I guess it's a damn good thing I live in Idaho! :cry: