Sign in to follow this  

New girl on the block

Hello,

I found this site and thought it could be a big help. I just bought a 2003 xr100. I have never owned or even been on a dirt bike. (I can see eyes rolling right about now) I ride sportbikes. I am racing an Aprilia RS50 (68 cc now) and there are some guys with the xr100 out there racing also. Soooooooooo I thought I would give that a try on the track. If I dont like it I can just keep it for the dirt and learn to enjoy that area of riding. My Aprilia is a 2 stroke. I have a blast riding that around and picked that up easy enough. Now Im ready for another lesson.

I look forward to any pointers anyone can offer with setting my new XR up. My first question is...... Anyone have or know where I can get a copy of the shop manual? I found one to buy but I was wondering if there was a site to down load a copy.

Thanks!

:cry:

Welcome to TT be careful not to get to addicted to this place cause it can happen easy :cry:. Just curious but where are you from.

LOL, When I got my Aprilia, I found an Aprilia forum just for 50cc. Talk about addicting. lol

Is there anyone on this forum that has put on 17" wheels? Because I want to use this bike for racing, it was recomended that I change the wheels. They mentioned that I need to change the tripple clamp. Anyone have any info on where to get the stuff to do that? Any info would be a big help. Thanks everyone.

Whats up Kneedragger. I too am a apriliaforum addict. I have an 01 Mille R, now I have added an XR100.

So to begin, I got a triple clamp from Reger Eng in CA. It's much taller and can take MX bars for better leverage. They sell on ebay. It's $100 on ebay, or $180 if you call them. I would try ebay. For Tires, I am using Bridgestone BT45. 100/90 19 on front and a 110/100 16 back. They are ST tires, but work pretty well on the track. We use a 1/2 mile go cart track, and get going pretty good. In 2 months, I have also got a BBK, diffrent carb, and a works shock. The Shock is a must for motard, made a big diffrents. Of course, I am 6'6" and 275, so the stock shock was worthless. Good luck, and have fun, it's almost as adictive as the Aprilia.

I live in CA, Los Angeles area.

Thanks for the info everyone. Its always a big help to talk to people that know their stuff.

My races are on go cart tracks so its all turns and short straights. If you go to www.turn2sportbikes.com look under racing, then under CMRRA and you will see my race reports and pictures. That will give you a feel for the tracks.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Thanks!

Lisa

Lisa,

What are you setting the bike up for??? Dirt or Supermoto???

If supermoto, do you go the Grange???? I don't have a manuel, but on my site socal xr's there is a parts fiche, I can also give you a link to down load it. For the most part, for the dirt, just about everything you can think of has already been discussed, so a search will give you buku info. :cry:

It would be supermoto. Ya, I just did Grange 2 weeks ago. Been there a few times this year. I think we have one more race there this year. Then we are at Willow Springs cart track.

Thanks for the link info. That should be a big help. I have LOTS to learn.

For supermoto, unfortunately the XR100 isn't the best supermoto mini. But here are some hints:

If you use the stock frame:

1. BBR frame cradle

2. either 92-95 CR80 forks or late model 1996 and up

3. Works shock

4. Pivot works swingarm bushings

5. BBR swingarm

6. Send your hubs to Buchanann for rims and spokes

7. Go to DMC and have him make you a reverse cone megaphone pipe.

8. Takegawa 115cc kit w/ superhead

9. BBR intake manifold

10. 200x carb

11. Better airfilter w/ airbox mods

12. CR85 clutch perch w/ lever

13. Bars

14. Bark buster gaurds w/ plastric stuff (I can't remember the name) on the outside

15. IMS pegs

16. If you get a late model CR frontend, You can use a CR250 hub, then get a 280mm or 300mm front disc w/ CRF450 caliper and master cylinder. Also, take it to DMC to get everything to fit.

Aything I forgot?

This should work for now.

The reason I say a XR100 isn't that great is because the CRF150 makes a great supermoto bike. A good rider on a CRF150 can keep up w/ a novice rider on a 250f or 450f. Whereas a good rider on a 100 can't. (at grange)

I would pass on the BBR frame cradle...it is not that good at keeping the chassis stiff...

The banke brace is much stiffer...I even called and chatted with a tech at BBR and they said that their cradle is more of a bash guard than a chassis stiffener...

http://www.bankeperformance.com/minibike/xr100.html

Engines Only also sells it:

http://www.xr100.com/

anyway here is another option for ya to add to the mix...Good Luck!

Your probably right, :cry: BBR was the first company to come to mind. I would also, gusset the crap out the frame too. :cry:

I would pass on the BBR frame cradle...it is not that good at keeping the chassis stiff...

The banke brace is much stiffer...

'Tis true. We got the Banke cradle/skid plate on his XR100. It's a well built chunk of metal!

Say Torqd, didn't I meet you and a friend of yours on the TT track at Hollister about 2 weeks ago?

You guys were racing around on XR120's, right? If it was you, you told me about the 270 kit for my CRF230F.

Bill '03 CRF230F

My friend and I built some of these and they make a difference... of course they are even better looking than the Banke... we skeletonized some of the pieces, used thicker plates, and cool stuff like that but they were for OUR bikes...

I am glad my friend works at a machine shop :cry:

well DirtDaddy... I would say it was me... but it wasn't... I was at a dirttrack race a few weeks ago... but in the midwest... and we did have a 120 running around... kinda funny!

I know the Banke stuff because I know him personally from my Buell World... and now I see he is messing around with the dirttrack stuff out west... good for him... he is a good guy with good products... I have had many a drink with the man and he gets my vote for having alot of fun with what he does!

well DirtDaddy... I would say it was me... but it wasn't... I was at a dirttrack race a few weeks ago... but in the midwest... and we did have a 120 running around... kinda funny!

I know the Banke stuff because I know him personally from my Buell World... and now I see he is messing around with the dirttrack stuff out west... good for him... he is a good guy with good products... I have had many a drink with the man and he gets my vote for having alot of fun with what he does!

Oooops!! Boy, am I dumb! If I'd only looked below your name and saw where you live! Sorry. :cry:

I'll be seeing James this coming Sunday at a friends Yahoo Bay Area Sportsters going away bbq in San Jose. I'll send him a cheer for ya. :cry:

Sorry for the post stealing New Girl!

Welcome to TT.

From my personal experience, The XR100 wouldnt be that good of a choice. DOnt get me wrong, its a great starter bike but I mean I am Always looking for more power, here, there, Everywhere!

Cant wait to upgrade.

I would go with the Crf150, over the Xr100. More power. :cry:

Welcome to TT.

From my personal experience, The XR100 wouldnt be that good of a choice. DOnt get me wrong, its a great starter bike but I mean I am Always looking for more power, here, there, Everywhere!

Cant wait to upgrade.

I would go with the Crf150, over the Xr100. More power. :cry:

On the contrary sir..

the XR100 has a good rep and is in its own class in supermoto racing...

especially when bored to a 120cc. When set up correctly with the right

suspension and tires/wheels they are some wild fun bikes to race!

I frequent the Stockton Motorplex and quite enjoy watching the mini's run the track.

The 100's really haul butt for a mini. Plus the XR100 is a great bike to learn

how to race before going to a larger, heavier bike.

The 150's like you said are very good bikes too, but they are in

another class altogether. But you knew that right? :cry: