Sign in to follow this  

semi/or full synthetic 10w40 or20w50?

hey guys ive been reading alot of posts about oil lately and i agree that i should be running better oil we put alot of money in our toys and we/I should not be cutting corners when it comes to the life blood of the engine I have two questions #1 where do you guys get your oil from? Im looking for silkolean red line or equivelant #2 which weight do you run I only ride off road. thanks

i use Redline 10W40 in both my bikes and from the research ive done, it seems to work out fine. 20W50 is for super extreme heats and is also has a higher lower temp setting. the full syn. really makes shifting a lot easier. i dont really even use the clutch anymore to upshift... not even from first to second... its smooth as butter.

My experience on a few 20w50's full syn , you'll get oil drag from running these weights. Most noted was the amsoil, I actually thought it was just good clutch grab, but it was actually oil drag, letting off the gas at 60 or 70 on the road coming into tight elbows you could feel it. They work, but IMO the engine prefers the lighter weight oil, the dilema, the tranny is better off with heavier under harsh terrain and gear jamming conditions.

Thanks guys for the input now I have to find it Redline Silkolean or Amsoil cant find it at the TT store or where I live :cry:

For a stock DRZ do I need 10w40 or 15w50? By the way I think I am going to use redline.

Probably wouldn't matter with those 2 choices, Burned recommended 15-50 so thats what I went with... :cry: