Sign in to follow this  

aluminum framed crf230?

Well i dont know about you guys but my crf230 is HEAVY for me...i find riding on slow really tough trails that the bike is too top heavy. I get off my bike and without the kickstand, if it starts to tip over i have to grab on both hands and pull back so it wont fall...im only 120lbs. My friends yz125 with the steel frame is SOOOOO much lighter or at least it feels that way. The bike in no way is top heavy.

I know BBR makes that stupid aluminum frame conversion...but for $3000 you can buy an entire used cr85 or cr125 and use that frame and still have the motor.

Now compared to a cr125 motor...how much heavier is the crf230 motor? The 125 motor cant be more then 55lbs since my tecate 250 motor was 65lbs dry. Then if you did put the crf motor in a 85 or 125 chassis you remove the radiator and tubing saving yet more weight.

Now do you think it would be really worth it to get a used rolling chassis minus the motor off of a cr125. WEll i think it would be worth it but about what would you make on the 230 rolling chassis?

and how about getting that road legal? The crf up here get that bajadesigns kit and it can be road legal. Same for the 125 except you would need that title too correct?

I dont really think ill ever do this. But its something to dream about :cry: :cry:

i'd go with a CR250 frame its bigger has a flatter base and more room. i am going to do this with a XR200 engine in aold MX bike. i can get complete rollers for 50-200 bucks...if ya use a CR use the steel frames pre 1996 just easier to work with. also look into bikes from the mid 80's they still got more technologry the most play bikes and have a high gas tank that dont come down on the engine. CR500 is easy to do this conversion....its jusy a huge open frame....by the way how tall is you CRF230 engine from base to top of head? :cry:

The motor is about 18 inches from highest to lowest give or take i was measuring in the dark so i cant really tell, lol

wow i was looking at my friends raptor motor today...thats a monster its like half the entire bike :cry:

and i was looking into the aluminum framed bikes cause im kinda small...(short and light) and its harder to keep those bigger 250 bikes balanced as well

and i know some are gonna say

"why not just keep the 125 motor in there"

cause i like the power of my 4 stroke and i also like being able to go 1 tank compared to the yz125's 2-3 gas tanks.

I used to have a ktm250exc 2 stroke the power was awsome but not a trail bike really even though it was the EXC model

The engine of the 230 is more because you ahve a starter. You also have to carry around a battery.

DMC will build a CR85/230f for $2000. Remember if you put it a 125 frame, you still need to build a new cradle, right down tube, exhaust, manifold, motor box, and air boot mod. You have to be a pretty good fabricator and pipe builder. If you are, then post pics after you finish it.

04crf230f,

An aluminum framed CRF 230 :cry:, I'm with you all the way!!! It is a great idea, so check out the sweet deal we just missed out on. This bike was just listed on eBay but I was too busy securing a deal on a 230 flattrack/tt/motard bike to follow through with it. I think it went for $1,750.00 which is a drop in the bucket if you wanted to replicate this machine, not to mention it's BBR History!

honda-cr230f-03-bikepics-216619.jpg

Here is how it was listed:

In 1999 the guys at BBR Motorsports pulled out all the stops to build a CR125/XR200 for a feature in "4-Stroke Dirt Bike" Magazine. The magazine folded before the test could be completed, so they used it as a shop and demo bike, and to win it's class at the 4-stroke nationals. They then sold it to a middle aged woods rider (me) who modified it for trail use. I blew the engine last year and moved on to other things, but the chassis is still in great shape and ready for a new life. It's loaded with trick stuff including the CR125 based frame, brakes, suspension etc., DID anodized and machined rims, Michelin S-12 front tire, Factory Connection re-valved suspension, ProTaper bars, Trail Tech rding computer, Billetanium hydraulic clutch, BBR tapered header and White Bros exhaust, BBR hand-formed aluminum tank, BBR billet gas cap, BBR billet brake pedal, UFO Enduro lights, K&N aluminum sidestand, Applied triple clamps and street license!

A quick look on BBR's site and I think it may have been this bike when first built...

honda-cr230f-03-bikepics-216638.jpg

So as see it after the fact....

Aside from a minor chain alignment issue, mounting the battery and matching up the carb/airboot to the filter, we could be riding our CRF230 aluminum framed Dream Bike!

I am still kicking myself in the :cry: for not pursuing both bikes at the same time, but I did close a sweet deal on a Japan only FTR 223/230 streetracker...

honda-cr230f-03-bikepics-212867.jpg

Keep the aluminum frame dream alive! I know I will....Karl

I saw that on ebay!! It took a lot for me not to max out my credit card and buy it. :cry:

04crf230f,

A quick look on BBR's site and I think it may have been this bike when first built...

honda-cr230f-03-bikepics-216638.jpg

Actually, my wife owned that bike (the number 5), one owner after Duane Brown of BBR. We sold it to a friend last year, who changed out the six speed for an ATC five speed (we had a problem with fourth gear). BBR made a few of those bikes, and that rolling chassis deal on EBAY was a steal.

DanaBBR.jpg Dana with the BBR, April 2002.

Hey, I just finished building one of those "stupid" BBR-230 alloy framed bikes using the CR-85 wheels and suspension. It is one of the coolest bikes I have ever ridden w/small wheels. I modified the engine and along with the smaller wheels really woke it up. Very strong. I built the bike w/the intentions of selling it to a friend, but I am seriously thinking about keeping it. I would post a pic, but I don't have a URL for the pics. I have had a '99 BBR CR-125XR conversions for years and have loved it. 245cc XR-200 engine. Bad to the bone on the MX track. I'm riding mostly woods these days, so I bought the BBR off Ebay that is pictured up above on an earlier post for the same bike in enduro form. I was on vacation when the auction went off, so I popped up, ran down to the closest cyber cafe, counted the auction down, and it was at $1500.00 when I punched in $3500.00. I got it for $2000.00 delivered. I have had a freshly built, hot engine sitting for a while. It will be here on the 4th, my birthday:-). Clint

Hey, I just finished building one of those "stupid" BBR-230 alloy framed bikes using the CR-85 wheels and suspension. It is one of the coolest bikes I have ever ridden w/small wheels. I modified the engine and along with the smaller wheels really woke it up. Very strong. I built the bike w/the intentions of selling it to a friend, but I am seriously thinking about keeping it. I would post a pic, but I don't have a URL for the pics. I have had a '99 BBR CR-125XR conversions for years and have loved it. 245cc XR-200 engine. Bad to the bone on the MX track. I'm riding mostly woods these days, so I bought the BBR off Ebay that is pictured up above on an earlier post for the same bike in enduro form. I was on vacation when the auction went off, so I popped up, ran down to the closest cyber cafe, counted the auction down, and it was at $1500.00 when I punched in $3500.00. I got it for $2000.00 delivered. I have had a freshly built, hot engine sitting for a while. It will be here on the 4th, my birthday:-). Clint

If you want, PM me and you can e-mail the pics to me. I can load them on my FTP for you :cry:

Hey Rion, You PMd me about the bike, I replied, now, I guess you want the board to see the inside story since you never replied directly back to me, no problem. The BBR-230 is a new bike w/less than 3 hours on the hour meter. I put that time on it at a MX track 3 miles from here myself. Flawless, no problems. The enine is modified and has had a kickstarter added. The bike has new plastic in black, Michelin S-12s, gold Excel rims w/stainless spokes, gold hubs, wave rotors, new pads, fat bars, BRP top clamp, trick clutch lever, BBR fork and shock springs, reworked suspension, rev box, keyed ignition, new chain and sprockets. So, go to the BBR website and look at the picture of the bike done up to look like mine, w/the red wheels and you will see that it is $11,500.00. It has no hotrod mods to the engine, it has no kickstarter, it has no BRP topclamp, no keyed ignition, ect. I will be glad to sell the bike w/out the engine for $5000.00 plus shipping or $8K deliveredw/the engine. I will be loosing money at that price. I have no problem w/keeping the engine for another full sized CR chassis. Or, what you might want to do is get $9-10K together, buy a CR-85 expert, then buy a CRF-230, then buy a BBR-230 frame kit. Once you have these all gathered up, you can find a XR-200 engine to put back in the CRF-230 so you can sell it, take the CR-85 apart, and start the long process of assembling the BBR-230. It took me almost a month working at night to get the engine completed w/all the internal mods required to install the kicker and a mountain of cash/new parts. I am lucky and got them at cost which was still a fortune. I have around $3K just in the engine. The bike has not been ridden other than by me at the track after completion ,for quality assurance and suspension testing. It has a spot in a climate controlled shop. It isn't eating anything at the moment, but I have no intention of keeping it, although I believe it will keep up w/my 250X in the woods. Bottom line prices are stated above. I'm not budging a dollar. Clint

sorry, i dont recall pm'ing you, but thats ok, maybe i did

i think i can build me one for less(because i can ebay the extra parts from both bikes), but if not i will keep yours in mine

later, ron

Well i dont know about you guys but my crf230 is HEAVY for me...i find riding on slow really tough trails that the bike is too top heavy. I get off my bike and without the kickstand, if it starts to tip over i have to grab on both hands and pull back so it wont fall...im only 120lbs. My friends yz125 with the steel frame is SOOOOO much lighter or at least it feels that way. The bike in no way is top heavy.

I know BBR makes that stupid aluminum frame conversion...but for $3000 you can buy an entire used cr85 or cr125 and use that frame and still have the motor.

Now compared to a cr125 motor...how much heavier is the crf230 motor? The 125 motor cant be more then 55lbs since my tecate 250 motor was 65lbs dry. Then if you did put the crf motor in a 85 or 125 chassis you remove the radiator and tubing saving yet more weight.

Now do you think it would be really worth it to get a used rolling chassis minus the motor off of a cr125. WEll i think it would be worth it but about what would you make on the 230 rolling chassis?

and how about getting that road legal? The crf up here get that bajadesigns kit and it can be road legal. Same for the 125 except you would need that title too correct?

I dont really think ill ever do this. But its something to dream about :cry: :cry:

I think an aluminum frame would be great for you if you have $$$ to burn. If you're 120lbs the bike is going to be heavy for you but probably too tall also. A shorter bike doesn't feel as heavy because you have more lever advantage on it. I know of a couple people now that have lowered their 230 & like it. Check out the Kouba link: http://www.koubalink.com/CRF150-230.html if you're interested.

:cry:

Wow! Don't know how I missed this post! ----- Hey 04crf230f, how long have you been riding dirt bikes? My son who is 14(closer to 15) also weighs 120lb and rides a CRF230. He rides the heck out of the bike. He's about 5' 6". He can handle the bike just as well as an adult. When the going gets slow, and we're riding deep in the nasty stuff, this is where the bike does its best.

I must let you know, the CRF230 is not top heavy. Heavy, yes.. top heavy, no. IT'S THE RIDER, NOT THE BIKE....

ps... if you have the $$'s spend it on a serious bike, not that silly BBR bling stuff.

ps2... check your tire pressure... they may not have enough air for you to handle the bike at slow speed.

ps... if you have the $$'s spend it on a serious bike, not that silly BBR bling stuff

I feel the same way. Even if you did have a buttload of money, you could spend that buttload of money on a faster bike already.

These bikes kinda remind me or Honda Civics and such alike. Already slow and theres faster things out there, but people still waste thier money on them.