Sign in to follow this  

Gearing question

Having just returned from Michigan (Cadillac) singletrack riding with an 01 DRZ400E, I have a quick questions about gearing...

My current gearing remains stock (14/44)... While I consider myself an intermediate rider who certainly appreciates higher speed, I found it hard to get out of even 1st gear !!... As a result, I felt like the engine was running too hard and the RPMS were often unnecessarily high -- but -- when I did kick it in 2nd gear, I easily would bog out and have to quickly switch back to 1st gear....

Seeing that need a new sproket set and chain, I am open to suggestions...

I like the idea of a rear sproket that stick with, but having extra front sprokets for dual-sporting/street...

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Will

Stock gearing for an "E" is 14/47 not 14/44. Stock "S" is 15/44. For tight trails many people like 13/47 or some combo that gives that approx ratio. If you really do have 14/44, try 14/47 or 14/49 and I'm sure you will like it better in the woods.

In that area the trails are fairly tight as you found out. I run a 13/47 in my DRZ. First is almost useless there but comes in handy once in a while.Second and 3rd are my main gears there and fourth for the streights. If you hit fith there your on the pavement. I tried a 12 front, but that was just to low.

Has anyone noticed decreased chain life with a lower front c. sproket than going higher in the rear ?

I was thinking 14/52 for woods riding...any opinions ?

For tight woods, I run 13/50.

1st gear only gets used for the tightest stuff that you have to tip-toe through. But, it makes it so that you can go at a slow walking speed without clutching.

And who doesn't love a 4th gear throttle wheelie?

Chain life has not been an issue. In fact, the only thing I've seen that left any noticable wear on the sprockets was from doing a bunch of sand riding.