Trivia - 1 (B.H.) = (Before Hannah)

In a another post I mentioned I had three 36 exposure rolls from a '70's TransAMA race digitized in hi res today. I was a press photographer in a previous life and I swear I have spent the last 3 hours zooming in and out of each print. I happen to work for a major photo industry manufacturer and I was blown away by the results from scanning straight off the negatives with the latest equipment. There were things captured on these negatives that I did not know that I had.

The prints you see are only cropped low res images but we will still have some fun with these. ? We will do this a little differently this time by posing a question based on the picture. It is your job to come up with the answers.

1 What State is this rider from and why is he wearing #1?

Downhill.jpg

2 This rider did not race this bike (hehe) but he did race this brand. But was it this brand on that day? What was this rider most famous for?

Whoneedsashirt.jpg

3 These team mates were first and second in the support class when this picture was taken. Can you name them and which states they were from?

250Support.jpg

4 Who is this rider and what country is he from?

Uphill.jpg

5 The pit vehicle for this team was a Winnebego. What brand does this team represent and what is this rider most famous for?

Hmmm.jpg

These are fairly easy ones. Good Luck ?

Fairly Easy!!!! What the hell is the matter with you? Boy I can't wait to see the tough ones, I'm toast. After seeing the 1st picture I thought this would be a walk in the park. No, not so, much tougher after Jammer. Here goes (And I know I do not have some answers, and no mags that old to cheat with.) ?

1) Jammin Jimmy Wienert was the 1974 (and '75) 500cc National Champion (This answer IS correct, he was my first real moto hero! ? )

2) Jim Pomroy switched from Bultaco to a factory Honda for the 1978 season. He is best known for being the 1st american to ever win a Grand Prix Motocross. (Not so sure here, but I do think I'm correct)

3) Jimmy "Captain Cobalt" was from Connecticut. Wyman Priddy, not even sure why I say that no freekin clue where he would be from. (The second rider is only a guess, and very sketchy one at that)

4) Jorges Nilson from Sweden (50% feeling of correctness ?)

5) Jones/Islo was created when Gary Jones bought out some motorcycle factory in mexico. I think the factory was Islo? Gary is a 4 time 250 National Champion, Has raced and I think won Baja before and is currently a test rider for MXA among other things. (74% feeling of correctness)

I need help here, where the hell is Bultaco206? This is more up his alley.

AWSOME Pics, AWSOME. I can only speak for myself, but I thouroughly enjoy your posts. ? :cry:?

Fairly Easy!!!! What the hell is the matter with you? Boy I can't wait to see the tough ones, I'm toast. After seeing the 1st picture I thought this would be a walk in the park. No, not so, much tougher after Jammer. Here goes (And I know I do not have some answers, and no mags that old to cheat with.) ?

1) Jammin Jimmy Wienert was the 1974 (and '75) 500cc National Champion (This answer IS correct, he was my first real moto hero! ? )

Wienert was from NY. Are you sure that's not early Glover in the pic?

2) Jim Pomroy switched from Bultaco to a factory Honda for the 1978 season. He is best known for being the 1st american to ever win a Grand Prix Motocross. (Not so sure here, but I do think I'm correct)

Bimbo did ride red in '78, but, to my knowledge, he never wore Lancer gear with them.

3) Jimmy "Captain Cobalt" was from Connecticut. Wyman Priddy, not even sure why I say that no freekin clue where he would be from. (The second rider is only a guess, and very sketchy one at that)

Priddy was from TX, and some say faster than Howerton. He had a lot of input in the early KX design (starting first on F11M Kaws) but was always a privateer. He's also recognized as the first privateer to win a National. I think what we see here are Jones/Murphy.

4) Jorges Nilson from Sweden (50% feeling of correctness ?)

My guess would be Arnie Kring (SWE)

5) Jones/Islo was created when Gary Jones bought out some motorcycle factory in mexico. I think the factory was Islo? Gary is a 4 time 250 National Champion, Has raced and I think won Baja before and is currently a test rider for MXA among other things. (74% feeling of correctness)

You're speaking of Moto Islo. I never heard that Gary Jones had anything to do with them. He would have been firmly entrenched with Can-Am during the Islo heyday. They were 100% Mexican. Their predominant line was Trials bikes.

I need help here, where the hell is Bultaco206? This is more up his alley.

My alley? I am usually pretty good with this kind of thing but have been humbled by you and your damned new scanner. ?

Aw, man,,,, I knew he was from NY, Brain Fart Just lost site of the fact that you asked that (hey there are only so many cells left up there). His dad was a junk man. I think he's still in the junk business today. (and probably filthy rich because of it.) ?

No I don't neccesarily remember him wearing Lancer either. ?

Nope, gotta take exception to that. I am certain that that is Ellis. The other guy is the question. But I thought Buck Murphy only ran the #311 on his bike.?

I like your Arne kringe (whatever) guess.?

Yeah, that's it, Moto Islo, but is that him? ?

If you take offense to seeing old MX pictures from Redbud from the 80's & 90's your in big trouble, I have a zillion of 'em ? :cry:?

I am going to let the picks keep coming for awhile longer. All I can say at this point is there are right answers and there are some wrong answers. ?

In the mean while I am looking at almost 100 unbelievebly high quality images from another time. The scanner used to digitize the negatives was from a commercial photo finishing training lab. The results are truly awesome ?

Yeah, that's it, Moto Islo, but is that him? ?

No. I don't know who/what those are. They look like Husky motors but I can't tell for sure.

If you take offense to seeing old MX pictures from Redbud from the 80's & 90's your in big trouble, I have a zillion of 'em ? :cry: ?

Offense? Nope. I just don't know anything from that period as I was playing ball and could have cared less about MX then.

So far the correct answers are:

#1 - Jammin Jimmy NY and National Champion

#2 - Jim Pomeroy - Bultaco that day and first American GP winner.

(You can tell the guy was a lumber jack from WA as he was the only one shirtless that day)

#3 - Ellis is #7 and Buck Murphy was mentioned and he is from ?? Hmm I am pretty sure WA or OR but I can't seem to find the web site that would confirm it.

#4 - ?? INCORRECT

#5 - AMEX was the name the they came up on the Jones ISLO partnership. Problem was they never sold enough bikes to pay for Gary Jones as a rider. He was a 3 time 250 Champion. His Dad was the big dude in the funky hat who seems to be mentioned in the same breath as Tony Alessi.

I will let you think more on #4 and will reveal the answer tomorrow if no one gets it. ?

The answer on #4 will be revealed by 11AM central time today. Any more guesses?? The only clue I will give is when you hear the answer you will be mad at yourself for missing it. ?

#4 is Hakken Andersson. ?

Bimbo won the Spanish GP as the first American ever to do so! ? :cry: ?

We have a winner with Howerton! But you missed the country, it should have been TEXAS. Trivia from this period is great when the riders are wearing those Scott face protectors. I liked this shot of Kent but it would've been a dead give away.

Jump.jpg