Sign in to follow this  

WR250F Crank Problem

I have a 2001 WR250F with a bad engine noise. Figuring a rod problem. And upon disassembly, found a pin problem instead.

Have any of you seen a broken crank pin on one of these? Not an exploded crank, mind you. Just the pin broke in two pieces.

Bike is well-maintained, average hours. Bearing and rod (and the pin bearing surface for that matter) look great.

Weird, huh? I bet I can get that warrantied! :cry:

Yes that just happened to me a week ago, the exact same problem. It happened all of a sudden. Now my engine is all dissasembled and I have just received today the rebuild crank. My local shop told me that they are use to rebuild crank on two stroke dirt bike and that my 01 WR250F crank is approximatly the same, so I ended up saving about 250 canadian buck (approx. 175 USD) and it looks brand new. They supplied a new connecting rod, the pin and the rod bering. Of course I ordered as well the crackcase bering as well.

This weekend I will put it back together and I am confident that it will run like it use too (hard).

I did post someting on it and I also did a seach on it but it does not seam a common problem. Guess we go unlucky because it is definaely a deffective material in the crank pin that cause the problem