Sign in to follow this  

hard throttle

I have an 03 CRF450. For as long as I can remember, I have always seemed to have a "stiffer" throttle than other bikes. I thought it was a kinked throttle cable so I changed the cable and replaced it with a motion pro. Yes, I have clearance between the throttle tube and handlebar and no I do not have glue causing the problem. Yes, I have cleaned inside the throttle housing but still have a very stiff throtle. Anyone esle with this problem? What is the solution? Besdies the wicked arm pump induced, I fear it may stick at some point in the future.

Thanks for your replies.

Erik-

You know what i have had to same problem with my 04 CRF450 and i hated it becasue by the end of my moto i would have cruise control and that is kinda scary on such a fast bike. Well anyways i throughly cleaned the throttle housing with contact cleaner and the inside of the tube. Also check the end of the handle bar hole. THen i sprayed some Cable lube in the housing and drenched the cables and sprayed a little in the tube and around the outside of it and cleaned it off. Last time i went riding i rode like [@#$%&*!] cause the throttle was so sensative after that. It took me a while to get used to. But the cable lube did wonders for it and also when you wash your bike try not to get water on the housing. Hope this helps ya.

Check that the cables are not being slightly kinked by the tank as they come out of the top of the carb. There is an indentation on the underside of the tank that is supposed to provide the proper clearance for the cables in this area. If the cables are kinked, a stiff, sticky throttle action can result. Hope this helps :cry:

my '02 has the same problem. the throttle housing binds somewhere. i've tried to find the problem by taking apart the housing at least 5 times.

in frustration, i sprayed silicone lube on all the moving teflon/plastic parts and the binding problem was cured. i think the cable was dragging on the curved "thinga-ma-jig" plastic piece.

Hi!, does the throttle feel hard when bike is on stand or only when you are riding?

If that feels only when you are riding, the carburator mixture could be incorrect

Thanks for the comments guys. Hakuli, the throttle feels "stiff, tight, hard etc.." ALL the time but is worse when the motor is off.

Thanks for the comments guys. Hakuli, the throttle feels "stiff, tight, hard etc.." ALL the time but is worse when the motor is off.

does it help if you loosen the two bolts that hold the housing together (and onto the bar)? I've found that I have to be very careful to tighten these evenly and just enough to keep the housing from slipping or my throttle drags.

Problem solved.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I identified the source though. From day one the throttle has been tight, or hard to twist. When I changed the throttle cable I was careful to reroute the cables in the same manner. However, after playing with the cables and rerouting them a bit, the throttle works perfectly. Apparently they were routed incorrectly to begin with. It doesn't seem to take much to get them to bind.

Erik-