Sign in to follow this  

Feet on the pegs

I am fairly new to woods riding,and have been experimenting with keeping my feet up and on the pegs more.It seems on uphills and cornering its working better.Is it like standing only if you must?

your motorcycle works best with the weight on the pegs, in pretty much every possible situation. whether sitting or standing, i try to consciously weight the pegs in any kind of technical or demanding terrain.

mw

I agree with velosapiens. Feet on the pegs are key. If you take your feet off the pegs you actually transfer weight away from the bike, so you have to be careful, think about it, how much does your leg weigh? Standing is optimal because your center of gravity is actually lower than when sitting. Sounds strange but it's true. All your weight is on the pegs not distributed between the seet pegs and away from the bike.

The center of gravity is lower when standing due to the weight being on the pegs verses the seat.

Dwight

And the best reason of all.......

Feet on the pegs keep your foot from being ripped off your leg by rocks, stumps etc.

Don't ask me how I know!

In fact.. better to try to ride with your toes tucked in or on the pegs. You have to reposition to hit the rear brake but it may save your feet and ankles.

Wow all this talk about the ouch factor sure brings back memories!! I'll grin and agree with it all so far. My Knees Have been through hell and standing is the only way for me on any challenging trails.